In my recent post ‘how to get inspiration for your research project topic’ I gave lots of tips on way to think of a great research project idea that suits you. In this post I will give you some tourism management research project examples to give you some guidance on what makes a suitable research project topic.
Remember, you can use a hypothesis or a research question, you will find examples of both below. Visit this post for more on the difference between a research question and a hypothesis.
Tourism Management Research Project Examples
Tourism management is a broad subject and you have the flexibility to explore a wide numbers of areas that interest you. Here are some previous topics that I have supervised to give you an idea of a suitable tourism management research project topic:
- Perception and attitude towards ecotourism in Albania among tourists.
- Does ecotourism economically benefit local communities: The Case Study of Nicaragua.
- Sustainable tourism practices in developing countries.
- The role of destination management organisation in promoting tourism in the European Union.
- Prices versus the environment: An analysis of consumer motivations.
- The sustainability practices within Formula One tourism.
- Why do young tourists prefer dynamic packaging to traditional package holidays?
- What can be done to help the fragile ecosystems of the Hawaiian Islands’ endangered plant and animal species?
- Does visiting a site of suffering and death socially and commercially benefit local communities?
- Perception and attitude of tourists towards the Jack the Ripper site.
- The ethics of dark tourism in Cambodia.
- Perception and attitude of foreign tourists towards the Edinburgh Dungeon.
- How to develop a marketing plan for the London Dungeon.
- Why do customers choose leisure hotels when they plan overseas holidays?
- Perception and attitude of British customers toward the Hilton Hotel in London.
- The impact of hotel brand on consumer choice in the UK.
- Examining the implications of the Internet towards online travel agents: The case study of Lastminute.com.
- The growth of the easy brand and its’ impact on market share.
- Examining perception and attitude of British customers towards online travel agents.
- Motivations for solo travel amongst millennials.
- Perception and attitude of millennials toward cruise holidays.
- Perception and attitude of tourist experiencing the sex economy in Thailand.
- Role of global terrorism in shaping the image of tourism destinations – Case study of Egypt.
- Perception and attitude toward Beijing’s world heritage tour among British tourists.
- Use of sporting events to develop tourism branding – Analysis of Qatar with regards to the FIFA World Cup.
- Perception and attitude toward extreme plastic surgery makeovers in South Asia among British customers.
- Emergence of Poland as medical tourism destination.
- How British customers choose medical tourism destinations for dental tour packages.
- Perception and attitude of international students towards work and study in the UK.
- The impacts of a gap year on skills and competencies in the workplace
Things to remember when choosing your tourism management research project topic
Whilst you might like the sound of some of the tourism management research project examples given above, remember that they might not always be feasible. Here are a list of things to consider:
- Can I gain access to the respondents that I will need?
- Can I complete this research project given the word count?
- Can I complete this research project given the time-frame?
- Is this research project realistic in terms of access (i.e. if you need to travel to a particular destination, is this possible?)
- Am I able to develop a conceptual framework to form a literature review?
- Is this a topic that is worthy of investigation?
For more guidance on writing your research project you might be interested in my posts how to write awesome aims and objectives and the difference between a research question and a hypothesis. I also recommend that you use some of the excellent research methods books available to you- I recommend Social Research Methods by Bryman and Research Methodology: A Step by Step Guide for Beginners by Kumar.
Do you have any good tourism management research project examples? I’d love to hear them- drop them in the comments box below!