(Last updated on: 24/09/2022)
So are so many great things to do in New York Buffalo! Buffalo is the second largest city in the state of New York. It is a very diverse city with plenty of things to do for everyone to enjoy – read on to find out about all of the best things to do in New York Buffalo!
- Tourism in New York Buffalo – overview
- The best places to stay in New York Buffalo:
- Is New York Buffalo dangerous?
- What to pack when visiting New York Buffalo
- The best things to do in New York Buffalo
- Things to do in New York Buffalo – Conclusion
Tourism in New York Buffalo – overview
Buffalo, New York, is very successful when it comes to tourism. It was settled in by the French in 1758, and the name is said to have come from the french translation of ‘beautiful river’, which is ‘beau fleuve’. In the 1900s, tourism in Buffalo boomed due to what it is most well known for – Niagra Falls. Additionally, Pierce-Arrow cars were created in Buffalo and it was the first city in America to have electric streetlights.
Today, tourism in Buffalo is still very popular. Niagra Falls attracts more than eight million visitors every year, which is more than most US National Parks and almost double the number of tourists who visit the Grand Canyon. Tourists who visit the state of New York also tend to spend most of their money on accommodation – so make sure to keep on reading if you want to know about some great hotels that won’t break the bank.
Buffalo also has the nickname “Queen City” because it is the second most populous city in the state of New York, with around 259,000 residents – this means that you’ll definitely meet some interesting people on your travels, and there is plenty of fun things to do there. A visit to Buffalo is perfect for domestic tourists as well as inbound tourists – especially if you want to see the world-famous Niagra Falls, as there are plenty of trips to reach it from Buffalo!
The best places to stay in New York Buffalo:
If you are researching things to do in New York Buffalo then you will surely also want to know the best places to stay in New York Buffalo! Here are my top picks-
- Baymont by Wyndham Buffalo – This is one of the best places to stay that offers great value for money. There is a fitness centre for guests to make use of, and every room comes with a private bathroom, free WiFi, cable TV, drink-making facilities and spacious rooms. Additionally, there are also washing facilities and free parking.
- Lenox Hotel and Suites – If you love history, then you will love a stay at this hotel. It is the oldest continuing hotel in Buffalo and has been open since 1896. There is an award-winning restaurant for guests to dine in, serving fine food! Every room comes with a flat-screen TV, refrigerator, microwave, free WiFi and free parking.
- University Manor Inn – Conveniently located across the road from Buffalo University, this inn is an ideal place to stay if you want to be close to the major attractions of Buffalo. There is a microwave, refrigerator, free WiFi and ironing facilities for each guest to use. Additionally, every morning there is a free continental breakfast to eat before a busy day of things to do in Buffalo!
- Hyatt Regency Buffalo – Located in downtown Buffalo, this hotel is great for business travellers as it is adjacent to the Buffalo Conference Centre. There is a desk and coffee-making facilities in each room, as well as room service. Additionally, the hotel has plenty of different dining options, such as a steakhouse, bar and a bistro – Starbucks is also available too.
- Garden Place Hotel – This uniquely decorated hotel will have you never wanting to leave! There is a vast variety of facilities for guests to make use of, such as a fitness centre, sauna, laundry services, a free shuttle to the airport and free breakfast for guests. Every room has room service available and comes with free WiFi, microwave, refrigerator and wet bar.
- Embassy Suites Buffalo – Just a 15-minute walk from the beach, this hotel is great for guests who want to be near all of the major attractions. Every room comes with a flat-screen TV, high-speed WiFi, coffee maker, mini bar and a mini fridge. Additionally, every morning, free warm breakfast is available for guests to eat, and after that, guests are free to use the fitness facilities, beauty salon and indoor pool.
- The Edward Buffalo – Every room at this hotel is tastefully decorated and comes with an en-suite with free luxury amenities, air conditioning, flat-screen TV as well as a seating area. There is also free WiFi and free secure parking for guests to make use of, and there is a bar serving drinks from all around the world. It is the perfect place to stay!
- Buffalo Marriot – Conveniently located in downtown Buffalo, this hotel comes with amazing facilities for guests to use. For instance, there is an on-site bar and restaurant which serves delicious fresh food, a concierge, dry cleaning services, a fitness centre and private parking. Each room comes with air-conditioning, a flat-screen TV, a refrigerator and a comfortable bed to relax in.
- Staybridge Suites Buffalo – This stunning hotel is great for guests who want to stay somewhere more spacious. Every room comes with an HD TV, seating area, microwave, refrigerator and an en-suite with luxury amenities. Guests can also make use of the gym, indoor pool and BBQ facilities.
Is New York Buffalo dangerous?
Is New York Buffalo dangerous? This is a hard question to answer straightly. In general, if you visit Buffalo and you use common sense, then you will most likely be safe from crime in Buffalo. If anything, the only thing you need to be careful about as a tourist is being a victim of petty crime such as pickpocketing. However, Buffalo does have some high crime statistics compared to other places in the USA.
Violent crime rates in Buffalo are 162.5% above the national average, and you also have a 1 in 98.2 chance of being the victim of a violent crime, in comparison to a 1 in 274.9 chance statewide. Although the violent crime rate in Buffalo is 1018.0 per 100,000 people, which is high but is still not a drastically high number which means you should be worried.
Here are a few general tips to stay safe in Buffalo, New York:
- Don’t go to unknown or isolated areas by yourself or during the nighttime.
- Carry a safety device with you at all times – this defence keychain is perfect!
- Get to know the area in the daytime, just in case you are caught out at night.
- Don’t leave your drink unattended at bars.
- Don’t flaunt your personal belongings, and always keep them in a secure place.
What to pack when visiting New York Buffalo
What should you pack for a trip to New York Buffalo? Here are the most essential items to pack for a trip to Buffalo:
- Buffalo Travel Notebook – Remember your time in Buffalo with this cute Buffalo travel notebook, which is perfect for writing down and collecting moments from the trip to put in the notebook. It also makes for a great souvenir!
- Bago Packing Cubes – Buffalo is the perfect city to shop in because there are so many great shops to explore, and these packing cubes are the perfect way to make space in your suitcase and are great for helping with organising your things. They are high quality and can fit so many items of clothing, so you won’t need to worry about not having any space to take everything you’ve bought back with you.
- Money Belt – This money belt is the perfect way to carry items discreetly, just in case the worst happens, and it’s always better to be safe than sorry. It is suitable for men and women and can come in different colours in order to blend in and be worn under clothes easier.
- Anti-Pollution Day Cream – As Buffalo is the second most populous city in New York, unfortunately, this means that there will be higher pollution levels from cars and other sources. Luckily, this anti-pollution day cream is perfect for helping to keep your skin in great condition. It is made from quality ingredients to help care for your skin the way it deserves.
- Personal Alarm Keychain – This personal alarm will help keep your mind at ease, especially if you’re a solo traveller. It is easy to carry with you as it can be attached to lots of things and is small to carry.
The best things to do in New York Buffalo
There are so many great things to do in New York Buffalo, lets take a deeper look…
Fun things to do in New York Buffalo
What are some fun things to do in New York Buffalo? There are some really fun things to do in Buffalo; here are some of the best:
- Old Fort Niagra – This is a fun day out for almost every type of tourist as there are so many interesting things to learn about and see here. The fort is over 300 years old and was first established by the French but was captured by the British and finally given to the US at the end of 1815. Today, there are lots of exhibitions on, and displays to be read, as well as lots of events that are very fun to participate in and witness, such as living history events where you get to learn about history in a more visual way.
- 80’s Theme Murder Mystery Performance-Double Decker Bus – Spend a few hours touring Buffalo in one of the best ways possible, which is a double-decker bus and having a murder mystery performance that you have to figure out the clues to. It’s guaranteed fun as you will be full of laughs interacting with the other characters as you try to figure out the mystery.
- Sahlan Field – Lovers of baseball will thoroughly enjoy a visit here, as there are often lots of games on to watch. The playing field has been newly updated, and there are lots of fantastic places to grab a bite to eat as you watch the game, such as burritos, beef, hotdogs and burgers. Many tickets can also be bought at the box office before the game starts, so it’s a great idea if you want to be spontaneous.
Free things to do in New York Buffalo
Are there any free things to do in New York Buffalo? For sure – check out these really fantastic things to do for free in Buffalo:
- Niagra Falls – A trip to Buffalo isn’t complete without a visit to the world-famous Niagra Falls. Let your breath be taken away as you explore one of the best-known natural wonders in the world. Niagra Falls is technically free to visit, but this private tour is also the perfect way to make sure that you can relax, as everything will be taken care of for you, meaning you don’t need to worry. It includes your own knowledgeable guide, private transfers and lasts for 5 hours. It’s one of the best things to do in New York Buffalo!
- Buffalo City Hall – This is a great thing to visit in Buffalo if you’re looking for something memorable and free. Here you will be able to see statues of various US presidents, and there is an observation deck at the top of the building that allows you to see the whole city. It’s a good way to spend a few hours if you want to see Buffalo from a different angle.
- Buffalo Iron Works – At this venue, there are often free events that mean you can listen to great live music and have a good time out. You can also order some great food and drinks to enjoy whilst listening to and watching the amazing entertainment that they have on that night. You don’t need to reserve anything; all you have to do is show up.
Unusual things to do in New York Buffalo
Are there any unusual things to do in New York Buffalo? Yes! Buffalo has plenty of unusual things to do – check out the best ones:
- Niagra Wine Trail – This wine trail is one of the most beautiful and unique places in Buffalo. It is perfect for lovers of wine tourism, and you can even taste some amazing wine that has just been created. You will be able to view the spectacular vineyards that sprawl over the fields. Additionally, there are lots of different events during the year that are great fun to visit, such as the Niagra USA Wine Festival and Harvest Festival. As a big wine lover, this is for sure one of my favourite things to do in New York Buffalo!
- Forest Lawn Cemetary – Having a cemetery on this list might sound a little bit unusual, but this cemetery is full of history. Here, you can visit the graves of some of the most iconic people in USA history, such as president Millard Fillmore, musician Rick James, and civil rights legend Mary Burnett Talbert. Remember that it is a place of rest, so be respectful at all times.
- Buffalo Transportation Pierce-Arrow Museum – This is one of Buffalo’s most unusual yet probably most important museums. It shows the history of transportation over the years and covers so much of it, such as horses, planes, boats, trains and cars. It also covers the important history of Buffalo’s infamous Pierce-Arrow cars and has excellent models of them.
Things to do in New York Buffalo with kids
What are some great things to do in New York Buffalo with kids? Buffalo is very child-friendly. Here are some great things to do there with kids:
- Buffalo Zoo – This is the perfect place to spend a few hours with kids, discovering all of the animal species and learning about the conservation efforts the zoo is implementing. There are lots of different species to see here, such as gorillas, tigers and even polar bears! Additionally, there are also events on throughout the year, such as for Halloween or Christmas, when there are special displays and themed things to do.
- Buffalo Museum of Science – A visit here is one of the best things to do in Buffalo with kids, as they will be able to learn about lots of different things such as dinosaurs, bugs, space, human biology and many more. There are also often events such as workshops, camps and guest speakers. During the summer months, the discovery camps that are held at the museum are a great idea if you want to drop your kids of for a few hours whilst you explore Buffalo.
- Theatre Of Youth – Kids will love seeing all their favourite characters come to life as they watch the fantastic performances put on by the actors. All of the shows are family-friendly and are made to help instil core values. It’s a very entertaining way to spend a few hours that the whole family will be able to enjoy. This is definitely one of my favourite things to do in New York Buffalo with kids.
Things to do in New York Buffalo at night
Are there any good things to do in New York Buffalo at night? Buffalo, New York, has amazing nightlife! If you’re a night owl, then check out these:
- Small-Group Buffalo Walking Food Tour – This small group walking tour is the perfect way to spend your night as you get to try all of the nicest foods and discover the best restaurants in Buffalo. On this tour, you will visit at least five different establishments, and your guide will also point out all the most interesting things along the way. It is one of the best things to do in Buffalo if you truly want to dive in and learn about the food culture.
- Sportsmen’s Tavern – If you’re looking for somewhere great to drink and meet new people, then head down to Sportmen’s Tavern. The prices are very reasonable, and the atmosphere is very joyful and friendly. There’s a wide range of drinks available and some food to snack on if you’re hungry. Sometimes, there are also live bands playing on the first floor too!
- Underground NiteClub – This is one of the best things to do in Buffalo if you love clubbing. The interior is nicely decorated, the music is great, and there are lots of people there just wanting to have a good time. It is in a good location and is the perfect venue if you want to have a fun night out.
Things to do in New York Buffalo – Conclusion
After reading this post, hopefully, you’ve learnt all about things to do in New York Buffalo and will do some of them! What are your favourite things to do in New York Buffalo? Are there any I’ve missed? Let me know your things to do in New York Buffalo recommendations! If you’d like some further reading, check these great posts out: