15 Best things to do in Florida Miami
29th January, 2023
Do you want to know what the best things to do in Florida Miami are? Then you have come to the right place!
Miami is one of the most famous destinations in Florida. In fact, it’s also the largest resort city in the entire USA – this means that there are plenty of things to do. Read on to find out about the best things to do in Miami, Florida!
- Tourism in Florida Miami
- Essential packing list when visiting Florida Miami
- The best places to stay in Florida Miami
- The best things to do in Florida Miami
- 15 Best things to do in Florida, Miami – Conclusion
Tourism in Florida Miami
Tourism in Florida Miami is booming as Miami has so much to offer. Between late 2017 and mid 2018, Miami received 16 million visitors in total – which is a record breaking number for Miami. Additionally, due to the large amount of visitors, Miami made $26.5 billion in total expenditures! This was especially good news for the city, as Miami was hit by Hurricane Irma in the summer of 2017.
In 2018, Miami received 16.5 million overnight visitors and 6.8 million day-trippers. Inbound tourists made up 35% of overnight stays, and about 5.8 million tourists were inbound. The main inbound tourists came from South America, with Brazil, Colombia and Argentina making up 20% of international overnight visitors, however, visitors from the continent of South America made up 45% of total overnight stays.
Domestic tourists (excluding Florida residents) made up 38% of total overnight stays, and Miami had 6.2 million domestic tourists in total. Residents from New York City were the largest amount of domestic tourists who stayed in Miami overnight, as there were 1.2 million tourists visiting from there, making up 20% of total domestic tourists.
The main airport of Miami is Miami Intrnational Airport (MIA). In 2018, more than 22 million passengers arrived by plane to Miami International Airport, meaning it was the most popular ways to arrive in Miami – around two thirds of tourists arrived by this method of transport in total. On average, there are 1000 flights from and to Miami International Airport per day, so you can see how popular it is!
Essential packing list when visiting Florida Miami
What should you pack when visiting Florida Miami? Here are the most essential packing list items for Florida, Miami:
- Lonely Planet Miami & the Keys – Become an expert about Miami with this handy Lonley Planet Book. This book has all the best tips and tricks to help make your trip to Miami the best it can be, and you’ll discover some of the best hidden-gems Miami has to offer.
- Diet Coca-Cola Hidden Stash Can – When you’re swimming in the sea, it can sometimes be hard to find somewhere to hide your valuables, luckily, this Coca-Cola can is perfect for that. It is easy to store your most valuable items in and you won’t have to worry about them being stolen.
- LocoJoy Money Belt – If you’re thinking of going partying in Miami, then this hidden money belt is perfect for you to wear so you wont lose any money by accident. It is also a great way to help avoid being pick pocetted and easily hides beneth clothes.
- Fotoprotector Transparent Sunscreen Spray SPF 50 – This sunscreen spray is perfect for making sure you stay protected against harmful UVA and UVB rays. It is transparent so doesn’t leave any whitecast and is also water-resistant, so you don’t have to worry too much if you’re swimming in the sea or partying in the pool.
- Women’s High Waisted Bikini – When in Miami, you’re very likely to go swimming at least a few times, so look stylish doing it with this fashionable high waisted bikini. It’s comes in various designs, and is made from high quality material so it’ll last you a long time, and will withstand any pool parties you might attend!
The best places to stay in Florida Miami
If you are looking for the best things to do in Florida Miami then I am sure you will also want to know where the best places to stay are, luckily I have you covered….
- Hotel Ponce de Leon – This budget hotel is perfect for travellers who want to save money. Each room comes with a private bathroom with free toiletries, flat-screen TV, a microwave, coffee machine and free WiFi. All of the rooms are accessible by stairs only, so keep this in mind if this would be an issue for you.
- Gables Inn – Conveniently located close to the ocean, this hotel is great value for money. There is a terrace for guests to relax on and every room has air-conditioning, a flat-screen cable TV, desk, private bathroom and free WiFi. It’s located in a quiet neighbourhood and there is free parking for guests.
- Extended Stay America Suites Miami Springs – This hotel has plenty to offer for guests to enjoy. There is an outdoor pool, fitness centre and a laundrette for guests to make use of. Every morning, there is a free grab-and-go breakfast for guests and each room has a flat-screen TV, kitchenette, private bathroom and free WiFi.
- Hyatt Place Miami – There are plenty of brilliant facilities for guests to make use of at this fantastic hotel. For instance, there is an outdoor pool to relax in, a terrace, an on-site restaurant serving delicious dishes as well as free breakfast for guests to enjoy and a fitness centre. It is particularly good for business travellers, as there are also meeting facilities and event spaces.
- Courtyard Miami Downtown Brickell – Modernly decorated, this hotel has everything to meet the needs of guests who choose to stay here. Each room is spacious and comes with a flat-screen TV, small refrigerator, work desk, en-suite and free WiFi. There is also an outdoor pool, fitness centre and on-site bistro to indulge in.
- La Quinta by Wyndham Miami – Located close to Miami Airport, this hotel is a great place to stay if you want to be in a convenient location. There is free WiFi, a cable TV, en-suite, and free parking available for guests. In the hotel, guests are free to make use of the outdoor pool, fitness centre, and free breakfast served each morning.
- Hotel AKA Brickell Miami – This luxury hotel is sure to make your vacation in Miami amazing. There is an on-site restaurant serving fine food, wine and amazing cocktails, a roof-top pool with stunning views of the city, a gym and a hot tub to relax in. Each room has an espresso machine, en-suite with luxury amenities, cable TV and comfortable bed.
- Kimpton EPIC Hotel – If you want to stay somewhere eco-friendly, then this is the hotel for you! Every room is gorgeously designed with floor to ceiling windows, a private balcony, smart TV, and en-suite which is fully equipped with everything you may need. The hotel is also pet-friendly, has a roof-top pool and a spa to make you feel pampered.
- Biltmore Hotel – Boasting plenty of facilities for guests to enjoy, a stay here will be one of the best places you’d have ever stayed in your life. There is an 18-hole golf course, spa, tennis court, swimming pool and gym for guests to make use of. Additionally, each room has a flat-screen TV, en-suite, seating area, free WiFi and room service is available. It is one of the best hotels in Miami to stay at.
The best things to do in Florida Miami
Now lets take a deeper look at the very best things to do in Florida Miami…
Fun things to do in Florida Miami
What are some fun things to do in Florida Miami? There are so many fun things to do in Miami. Here are some of the best:
- Miami Speedboat Tour with Star Island, South Beach Views – Blast through the waters and feel the cool sea breeze against your skin on this super fun Miami speedboat tour! On this tour you will be able to learn about Miami from a different angle, whilst having fun at the same time. It’s one of the most fun things to do in Florida Miami – so be sure to not miss it out of your itinery.
- Vizcaya Museum & Gardens – This is the perfect way to spend a few hours exploring. The house/museum has stunning medditerainan architecture, which makes for beautiful photos. Inside, you can learn all about it’s history and art collections. The gardens are also beautiful, so make sure you don’t miss out a visit to them too.
- Miami Little Havana Food and Walking Tour with Tastings – If you love food, then this Little Havana food tour is perfect for you. You will be able to try traditional Cuban food and learn all about it, as well as one of the most unique parts of Miami, Little Havana. Your tour guide will happily answer any questions you may have and you will also see some of the most iconic sites in and around Little Havana.
Things to do in Florida Miami for couples
Is there anything to do in Florida Miami for couples? There are lots of romantic things to do in Florida Miami for couples, have a look at these great suggestions:
- Miami Private Boat Cruise – This private boat cruise is one of the romantic things to do in Florida Miami. On this cruise you will be able to see all the major sights of Miami with the luxury of having no-one else on board, except from who you choose. You can even make it more romantic by choosing to do the cruise at sunset – it’s one of the most memorable experiences you can do in Miami.
- Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum of Science – This science museum may not seem like a romantic thing to do at first, but there are lots of exhibitions that are really beautiful and interesting. For example, a must-see at this museum is the indoor aquarium, where you will get to see fish and sharks swimming all around. There is also a planetarium, which is a breath-taking experience.
- Private Vacation Photography Session with Local Photographer in Miami – Remember your trip for years to come with this photography session. During the session, your photographer will capture you and your partners best angles near some of Miami’s most iconic attractions, as well as some hidden-gems. After the session, you will then receive the digital photos to keep forever.
Things to do in Florida Miami for kids
What are some things to do in Florida Miami for kids? Here are the best things to do in Florida Miami for kids:
- Zoo Miami – Kids will love exploring this zoo and learning about all of the amazing animals that call the zoo their home. There are also a wide range of activities that children can participate in, such as animal feeding or zookeeper talks. Some of the most famous animals at the zoo include; gorillas, jaguars, elephants and pygymy hippos.
- Jungle Island – This is a must-visit attraction in Miami, and is fun for the whole family. It’s an eco-adventure park located on Watson Island, with various things to do, such as waterslides, seeing the animals, zip lines and escape rooms. There are also often events on such as beach events where there will be live music and performances for all to enjoy – it’s one of the best things to do in Florida Miami for kids.
- Miami Childrens Museum – A visit to this museum is guaranteed to keep kids entertained. There are lots of interactive exhibits that promote learning in a fun way, as well as different events on throughout the year which offers different things depending on the event. It is great fun for kids, and a perfect way to spend a few hours in an educational yet entertaining manner.
Cool things to do in Florida Miami
Are there any cool things to do in Florida Miami? Here are the coolest things to do in Florida Miami:
- Parasailing with Miami Watersports – Parasailing is one of the coolest things to do in Florida Miami! Even if you’re scared of heights, this is must-try experience. It’s a fun thing to do if you’re a lover of adventure tourism and want to experience something amazing whilst in Miami. You can ride by yourself or with someone else at the same time, so it’s great fun guaranteed.
- Wynwood Walls – If you love street art, then a visit to Wynwood Walls is a must. Here, you will be able to see a wide variety of street art, created by some of the world’s greatest artists. It has become a major statement in the street art community, as the original creator of Wynwood Walls, Tony Goldman, wanted to give the movement more attention and respect. It’s free to visit and is amazing to look at!
- FTX Arena – There is always something on at the FTX Arena, making it a great place to visit if you’re looking for cool things to do in Florida Miami! It is home to Miami’s basketball team, Miami Heat, so if you’re into basketball, it’s a great place to go and watch as the atmosphere is ecstatic. When the basketball isn’t on, you can often find concerts taking place here or films to watch.
Unusual things to do in Florida Miami
Are there any unusual things to do in Florida Miami? If you’re in the mood for something a little different, check out these unusual things to do in Miami:
- Everglades National Park 3-hour Airboat Tour – Visiting the Everglades National Park is a must if you’re in Florida, and this tour is one of the best tours you can take from Miami. It is a small group, 3-4 hour tour of the Everglades, where you will be able to learn and spot all the animals that live there. The tour also includes hotel pick-off and drop-off.
- Perez Art Museum – The Perez Art Museum is the place to visit if you want to see some very interesting, wacky and colourful art work, created by world famous artists. There are lots of different exhibitions to be discovered and there are also tours you can chose to participate in. It’s a great way to spend a few hours in Miami.
- Miami Boat Tour – Discover Biscayne Bay & Celebrity Island Homes – This boat tour is perfect if you’re interested in learning all about how the rich and famous live their lives. The views are spectacular, and your tour guide will be able to tell you lots of interesting facts about everything along the way. Additionally, there is also a bar onboard the boat, so you can fully relax and enjoy your boat tour.
15 Best things to do in Florida, Miami – Conclusion
After reading this post, you’ve hopefully discovered some of the best things to do in Florida Miami! What were your favourites? Is there any that I’ve missed out? Let me know! If you’d like some further reading, check these other posts out:
- 250 Awesome Miami Instagram Captions + Miami Quotes
- The 25 best vacation spots in California
- 30 Fascinating Facts About Hawaii
- Spring vacation: What is it + why do we have it?