(Last updated on: 24/09/2022)
What are the best things to do in Alabama Birmingham? Birmingham is the third most populous city in the state of Alabama, and it has around 50,000 residents in total. There is so much to be explored and so many great things to do in Alabama Birmingham- so if you’re lucky enough to be visiting, make sure to read this post all about the best things to do in Birmingham Alabama, to make sure you have an amazing time!
- Tourism in Alabama Birmingham – overview
- Alabama Birmingham packing essentials
- The best places to stay in Alabama Birmingham
- The best things to do in Alabama Birmingham
- The best things to do in Alabama Birmingham – Conclusion
Tourism in Alabama Birmingham – overview
Birmingham is the third most populous city in Alabama, and it’s important not to get it confused with Birmingham, England! It was founded in 1871 after the civil war and was originally compromised of small farming towns; as it was an important place for industrial and rail transportation, they named it after Birmingham, England, which is well known for similar things.
As a tourist destination, Birmingham attracts around 28 million visits a year, and about 1 million of these are inbound tourists – so, as you can see, Birmingham is mostly popular with domestic tourists. Birmingham is most popular with domestic tourists as it’s not as well known internationally, and many international tourists are more familiar with the major destinations in the USA, such as Miami, Chicago and Hawaii.
Alabama Birmingham is a great destination for all types of tourists and attracts business travellers in particular as there are lots of business centres and conference centres all around Birmingham. However, if you’re not travelling for business, then there are still plenty of reasons why you should visit Alabama Birmingham!
Alabama Birmingham packing essentials
What should you pack for a trip to Alabama Birmingham? Don’t forget to pack these essential items:
- Greater Than A Tourist: Birmingham, Alabama – This is essential to pack with you for your trip as you will get all the best tips from a local in order to make your trip the best it can be. In this book, you will be able to find out about all the best places to eat and things to see that are off the beaten track.
- Cross-body Bag – If you’re planning on taking some extra items with you when you go out and explore, then this cross-body bag is the perfect thing to carry it all in. It’s very spacious and made of high-quality materials so it won’t break when you’re doing activities – and it’s also really stylish so you’ll look great in photos.
- HKR Women’s Slip-on Trainers – These slip-on trainers are perfect if you’re going to walk around Birmingham the majority of the time. They are very comfortable and stylish, as well as easy to slip on and off in case it comes to it. Furthermore, they’re made from strong and sturdy material, so will last a long time.
- Camptarce Winter Hat – In the winter, Birmingham can get really cold, so this winter hat is perfect for helping stop you from getting chilly. It’s really warm and very stylish, so will look great with almost anything you want to style it with. It’s one of the most essential things to pack for Alabama Birmingham in the winter.
- Rhinestones Women’s Photochromic Sunglasses – Even though Alabama Birmingham can get really cold – in the summer months, it can get very warm too. Luckily, these photochromic sunglasses are ideal for all types of seasons as the lenses adapt to all different types of lights, which is perfect if you want to go shopping a lot or if you’re planning on going indoors and outdoors as they will adapt.
The best places to stay in Alabama Birmingham
If you are looking for the best things to do in Alabama Birmingham then you will surely want to know the best places to stay too. Here are my top picks-
- Tourway Inn – This inn is great value for money. It’s located in the centre of Birmingham, and each room comes equipped with a cable TV, desk, microwave and a small refrigerator. Additionally, there is a 24-hour front desk in case you need anything and free parking in case you’ve decided to drive to Birmingham.
- Red Roof Inn – Located in the centre of Birmingham, this inn is great if you want to be close to all the major attractions. There is an on-site business centre, free WiFi and free parking. In each room, there is a flat-screen cable TV, refrigerator, microwave and a desk. It is one of the best places to stay in Birmingham if you’re on a budget.
- Extended Stay America Suites – Each room at this hotel is tastefully decorated and comes with a dining table, free WiFi, drinks-making facilities and an en-suite with free amenities to make use of. There is also a free grab-and-go breakfast available for guests every morning, and there is also a laundrette to make use of.
- Holiday Inn & Suites – This hotel is conveniently located near Birmingham Airport, making it a great choice if you need to be situated near there – additionally, there is also a free shuttle bus to the airport provided by the hotel. Every room comes with free WiFi, a private bathroom with a powerful shower, a microwave, and a refrigerator; what’s more, is that there is also an outdoor pool to make use of.
- Drury Inn & Suites – A stay here is perfect if you’re on a road trip as it is located close to Interstate 459, and free secure parking is also provided. Each room is equipped with free WiFi, a drinks-making facility, en-suite with free amenities to use, a cable TV, a microwave and a refrigerator. There is also a 24-hour fitness centre and an on-site restaurant which serves a whole range of dishes.
- Comfort Inn & Suites by Mariott – Modernly decorated, this hotel is a fantastic place to stay for any duration. There is an outdoor swimming pool and fitness centre for guests to use and also an on-site restaurant with an American breakfast served fresh every morning. In each room, guests will be able to find a cable TV, microwave, refrigerator and an en-suite with free amenities.
- Homewood Suites by Hilton – This gorgeous hotel is located right in the centre of Birmingham, making it a great choice if you want to be in the centre of all the action! There is an indoor pool, a bar serving a wide range of drinks, a fitness centre and an on-site restaurant that serves a buffet breakfast each morning. In every room, there is a seating area, en-suite, coffee machine and an HD TV.
- Valley Hotel Homewood – In every room, guests are provided with a refrigerator, flat-screen TV, terrace, seating area and an en-suite with luxury amenities to be used. There is also daily housekeeping and a 24-hour reception if guests need anything. Some of the facilities at this hotel include a fitness centre, a restaurant serving fine food, and a bar.
- Elyton Hotel, Autograph Collection – This elegant hotel is perfect for guests who would like to stay somewhere that will make them feel like royalty. There is a 24-hour reception, free WiFi, concierge service, an on-site restaurant that serves a vast variety of international dishes and a fitness centre. Each room comes with an iPad, flat-screen TV, air-conditioning, seating area and an en-suite.
The best things to do in Alabama Birmingham
There are so many great things to do in Alabama Birmingham, lets take a deeper look…
Romantic things to do in Alabama Birmingham
What are some romantic things to do in Alabama Birmingham? Birmingham has plenty of great things to do that are romantic – have a look at these things to do that are great for dates:
- Red Mountain Park – This park is the perfect place to explore with your significant other as it’s a great place to go on dates! There are so much to be explored here and so many ways to do the exploring, as there are bikes, canoes, and kayaks that are available to rent. Here, you will also find a dog park, and plenty of picnic tables along the trails to stop and have a romantic picnic in.
- Birmingham Botanical Gardens – The Birmingham Botanical Gardens are one of the most romantic things to do in Birmingham as they are so colourful and filled with so many different types of flowers. There are lots of places to sit and relax, as you and your partner can watch the wildlife that calls the gardens their homes. Sometimes, there are also various events that are nice to take part in, such as creating your own terrarium or outdoor yoga.
- Iron City – If you and your partner love live entertainment, then Iron City is one of the most romantic places you can visit in Birmingham together. Almost every night, you will be able to see a different performance happening at the venue, so there’s a high chance that there will be something to suit both of your tastes. It is a great place to spend an evening, and the atmosphere is electric!
Fun things to do in Alabama Birmingham
What are some fun things to do in Alabama Birmingham? If you’re looking for some fun, then here are some of the best fun things to do in Alabama Birmingham:
- Alabama Theatre – There is always something fun and entertaining on at Alabama Theatre! It is the perfect way to spend a few hours, and many of the shows that are on are available to buy at the door, so you don’t need to book in advance. The theatre is from 1927, the interior is spectacular, and you are almost guaranteed a good time.
- Wild Cave Adventure – This is an adventure unlike no other, as you will get to explore caves hundreds of feet below the ground. On this adventure, you will get to see lots of different cave formations and underground waterfalls. Be sure to bring a change of clothes with you as you will get muddy and wet! This is something to remember for a lifetime.
- McWane Science Centre – Every day, there is always something fun that’s on at the McWane Science Centre. There are plenty of exhibitions to be explored, such as dinosaurs, insects, human biology and more. There are nearly half a million specimens and artefacts to see and learn about, and there is also an IMAX experience too!
Things to do in Alabama Birmingham at night
Alabama Birmingham has some great nightlife – so if you’re looking for something to do at night, you don’t want to miss these:
- Sips of Birmingham Tour – Spend the night drinking at all of the best breweries in Birmingham on this fun tour. Pick-up and drop-off are included as well as transport around all of the breweries, so you don’t have to worry about not going over the limit. Your tour guide will also be on hand to tell you about the must-have drinks and help you find ones that you will like.
- The Nick Rocks – This is one of the best things to do in Alabama Birmingham at night as the atmosphere is amazing and the drinks are great. Every night, there is also often live music on from almost every genre, such as blues, rock, country and more. It is a great way to spend your night dancing and drinking away.
- Quest Club – If you love clubbing, then Quest Club is a must-visit, as it’s one of the best clubs in Birmingham. It is always open, and entry is free just as long as you purchase a membership. There are lots of drinks to choose from, and the music choices are perfect. The atmosphere is great, and there are many lovely people to meet and party with.
Weird things to do in Alabama Birmingham
What are some weird things to do in Alabama Birmingham? There are quite a few weird but wonderful things to do in Birmingham, have a go trying these out:
- Birmingham Ghost Walk Tour – See if you have what it takes to explore the scariest places in Birmingham! This tour is the perfect way to learn about some of Birmingham’s most unique history and the ghosts that are said to haunt the streets. If you don’t already believe in paranormal activity, you may leave this tour with a different opinion…
- Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum – This motorsports museum is a wacky but wonderful collection of all different kinds. In fact, it holds the Guinness World Record for being the world’s largest motorcycle collection, as there are over 750 in total! It’s the perfect place to visit for lovers of motorsports and is a fantastic way to spend a few hours exploring.
- The Vulcan Park and Museum – Here, you will find the largest cast iron statue in the world as it towers above the city, and you can also climb it too. There are also lots of wacky events throughout the year and an art gallery with wonderful exhibitions. It’s a great activity to do in whatever the weather.
Cheap things to do in Alabama Birmingham
What are some cheap things to do in Alabama Birmingham? If you’re on a budget or simply looking for some cheap things to do, then here are some of the best:
- Birmingham Zoo – There are plenty of animals to be seen at this zoo which is passionate about supporting conservation and educating visitors on the animals. Some of the animals that can be found at the zoo are elephants, monkeys, black bears, red pandas and many more. Additionally, there are also different events on, such as talks where visitors are able to learn more in-depth.
- Birmingham Museum of Art – Founded in 1951, there are now over 24,000 works of art, most notably from English and French artists. It’s free to visit, and there are even events that are offered that are free, which makes it a great place to spend a few hours. The collection of artwork is also known as being one of the best artwork collections in the US, so it’s definitely one of the best things to do in Birmingham – especially since it’s free.
- Ruffner Mountain – If you love nature tourism, then a visit to Ruffner Mountain is a must. It is over 1,038 acres big, and there are plenty of animal and plant species to be spotted here. It is the perfect place to visit in Birmingham if you want to escape the hustle and bustle of busy city life for a few hours.
The best things to do in Alabama Birmingham – Conclusion
After reading all about the best things to do in Alabama Birmingham, hopefully, you’ve found some amazing things to do! What were your favourite? Have I missed anything out that you think deserves to be on the list of the best things to do in Alabama Birmingham? Let me know! If you’d like to read some similar posts, then this is what I’d recommend: