Dr Hayley Stainton
My name is Dr Hayley Stainton and I am the founder, owner and CEO of Tourism Teacher.
Travel is my life. It always has been. From studying travel and tourism at college, to travelling the world as Cabin Crew, to working with industry stakeholders to facilitate sustainable tourism development, my life has always been focussed around travel and tourism.
A tourism expert, I have studied the tourism industry at length and completed a number of academic and consultancy projects in recent years. My specialisms include: tourism management, tourism development, sustainability, tourism planning, volunteer tourism, TEFL Tourism and family travel. I have been teaching travel and tourism management since 2005 in a higher education context.
Through Tourism Teacher, I share my knowledge on the principles and practice of travel and tourism management from both an academic and practical perspective.
blog posts written
papers presented/ published
From PhD supervision to working in the hospitality industry, I have a broad range of experience in the travel and tourism industry.
Positions that I have worked in over the past two decades include:
- Tourism consultant
- PhD supervisor
- Academic manager
- TEFL Teacher
- Travel Writer
- Cabin Crew
- Travel planner
- Holiday Representative
- Retail-customer service
- Various hospitality roles e.g. bar staff, waitress, hotel receptionist
Research output and public speaking
If I’m not out exploring, I am generally researching or writing. You can often find me at various conferences and events or in the back of the university library.
Here is a summary of some of the research that I have been involved in:
Please contact me if you would like to discuss Visiting Professorships, external moderation and validation, research collaborations, consultancy work, keynote speeches or any other opportunities.
Conference and webinar presentations
- Stainton, H. (2020) Tourism Recovery: Thoughts from China. TTRA Asia Pacific Chapter Conference. Brisbane. 8th December.
- Stainton, H. (2020) Life after COVID: Lessons from Asia and Europe. SMART Talk: Smart Tourism and Research Consultancy. Panama. 21st May. Stainton, H. (2020) The Economic Impacts of Coronavirus. The World Economy After The COVID-19 Pandemic. MUBS. 11th May.
- Stainton, H. (2018) TEFL Tourism. Paper presented at the Conference of Sustainable Tourism. 16-18 May.
- Stainton, H. (2017) TEFL Tourism in Thailand: Teacher Characteristics, Motivations and Experiences. Paper presented at the ICOT conference. Place and the Tourist Experience: Heritage, Sustainability and Economy. 28thJune- 1st July.
- Stainton, H. (2016) TEFL Tourism: A Typological Examination of Those Teaching English as a Foreign Language. Paper presented at ATLAS Annual Conference. Tourism, Lifestyles and Locations. 14-16 September.
- Stainton, H. (2016) TEFL Tourism. Paper presented at Bucks New University Research Colloquium. 29th June.
- Stainton, H. and Iordanova, E. (2016) An Ethical Perspective for Tourism Researchers Using Blog Analysis as a Research Method. Paper presented at The 6th ICOT Conference-New Challenges and Boundaries in Tourism: Policies, Innovations and Strategies. 29 June-2nd July.
- Stainton, H. (2016) TEFL Tourism: Three Minute Thesis (winner). Paper Presented at Staffordshire Post Graduate Research Conference. 19th May.
- Stainton, H. (2016) TEFL Tourism: An Introduction. Paper presented at the Tourism Research Network PhD/ECR Symposium. 19th April.
- Stainton, H. (2015) TEFL Tourism: Moving Volunteer Tourism Research from the Broad to the Specific. Paper presented at The 24th Nordic Symposium in Tourism and Hospitality Research. 29th September-3rd October.
- Wright, H. (2015) ‘The Blogosphere: An Ethical Debate.’ Paper presented at The International Conference of Qualitative Research. Beyond the Fractured Future. 15th-17th July.
- Stainton, H. and Iordanova, E. (2019) Cognition, Emotion and Trust: A Comparative Analysis of Destination Image Projected by DMOs and Online Bloggers. Tourist Studies. 14 (3) 419-443.
- Stainton, H. and Adu-Ampong, E. (tbc) An Investigation into the Demographic and Psychographic Characteristics of Travel Influencers.[Paper in progress].
- Stainton, H. (2018) The Commodification of English Language Teaching in Tourism: A Sustainable Solution? Tourism Management Perspectives. 25 123-130.
- Stainton, H. (2018) TEFL Tourism: The Tourist Who Teaches. Tourism Geographies. 20 (1) 127-143.
- Stainton, H. (2017) Inside the Thai Classroom: A Stakeholder Insight. The New English Teacher. 11 (1).
- Stainton, H. and Iordanova, E. (2017) An Ethical Perspective for Tourism Researchers Using Blog Analysis as a Research Method. Innovative Methodologies. 10 (3) 1-7.
- Stainton, H. (2016) The ‘Blogosphere’ as a Platform for Interpretive Phenomenological Analysis: The Case of TEFL Tourism. Current Issues in Tourism. DOI 10.1080/13683500.2016.1271404.
- Stainton, H. (2016) A Segmented Volunteer Tourism Industry. Annals of Tourism Research. 16 256-258.
- Wright, H. (2014) Volunteer Tourism and its (Mis) Perceptions: A Comparative Analysis of Tourist/Host Perceptions. Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research. 13 (4) 239-250.
- Stainton, H. (2019) TEFL Tourism: Principles, Commodification and Sustainability. Wallingford: CABI Publishing.
- Stainton, H. (2019) Becoming Cabin Crew: A course textbook designed to support BTEC, NCFE and City & Guilds qualifications. UK. Create Space Publishing.
- Stainton, H. (2019) Becoming Cabin Crew: Everything You Need to Know about the Application Process, Cabin Crew Training and Life in the Skies. UK. Create Space Publishing.
- Stainton, H. (2015) Life of a Hostie: Everything you need to become Cabin Crew. UK: Create Space Publishing.
Consultancy and collaborations
- The Open University
- OTHM qualifications
- Smart Tourism and Research Consultancy
- Centre Smart Tourism
Academic reviewer experience
- Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research
- Current Issues in Tourism
- Journal of Hospitality Management and Tourism
- Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research
- Tourism Geographies
- Tourism Management Perspectives
Travel is my true love. I have seen lots of the world, but there are still many places to explore and many places that I would like to return to.
My style of traveling has changed throughout the years. From my being a package holiday tourist to a backpacker to a family traveller and a luxury tourist, I have tried and tested most types of tourism at some time or another.
I have been to more than 50 countries to date and I am now travelling the world with my family.
I have only written about a fraction of my travels on this website. Not everything is ‘Google worthy’ and I’m not one for reinventing the wheel- if there are already two dozen websites detailing things to do in Mexico, then I’m not going write about this again!
So just to give you an idea of the types of experiences that I have encountered on my travels, I have listed some of my highlights below.
- Backpacking solo around South East Asia
- Klimbing Mount Kilimanjaro
- Swimming with hammerhead sharks in the Galapagos Islands
- Seeing in the new year in the Ecuadorian Amazon
- Teaching in Thailand
- Cruising the Nile in Egypt
- Penguin watching in South Africa
- Ziplining in Costa Rica
- Travelling through the Canadian Rockies
- Travelling with my baby in Nepal
- Living in China
- Skydiving in Australia
- Seeing a lion kill its prey on safari in Tanzania
- Visiting the stunning rocks formations in Meteora, Greece
- Climbing the rock of Gibraltar
- Sleeping in the Sahara desert
- Exploring Petra, Jordan
- Learning about the effects of war in Israel
- Sailing in Malta
- Watching families get together outside the Blue Mosque for Iftar during Ramadan
- Celebrating Sonkran in Thailand
- Going to the space museum in Moscow, Russia
- Eating pizza in Italy
- Drinking sangria in Spain
- Partying in Ibiza
- Learning to drive in France
- Getting to know the locals in The Gambia
- Going on a desert safari in Dubai
- Seeing the temples of Anchor Wat in Cambodia
- Cruising Halong Bay in Vietnam
- Relaxing on the Gilli Islands off the coast of Bali
- Tubing in Laos
- Shopping in New York
- Taking a dip in the Blue Lagoon in Iceland
- Tasting authentic curry in India
- Quad biking in Argentina
- Drinking Caipirinha in Brazil
And the list goes on…..