Warning: exif_imagetype(https://tourismteacher.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/National-Museum-of-Korea-–-South-Korea-1.jpg): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found in /home/customer/www/tourismteacher.com/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3310
Warning: file_get_contents(https://tourismteacher.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/National-Museum-of-Korea-–-South-Korea-1.jpg): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found in /home/customer/www/tourismteacher.com/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3332
Where are the most famous landmarks in the world and why are they so famous? Whether you are researching famous landmarks to plan your future trips, or you simply want to learn more about the most famous landmarks in the world, this article reveals all. Ready to learn more about the most famous landmarks in the world? Keep reading…
- 150 Most Famous Landmarks
- 1. The Eiffel Tower – 7th Arrondissement, Paris, France
- 2. Notre-Dame de Paris – Cathedral, Paris, France
- 3. Palace of Versailles – Versailles, France
- 4. Louvre Museum – Paris, France
- 5. The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Paris – Paris, France
- 7. Arc de Triomphe – Paris, France
- 8. Musée d’Orsay – Paris, France
- 9. Sainte-Chapelle – Paris, France
- 10. Palais Garnier – 9th arrondissement, Paris, France
- 11. Verdon Gorge – Southeastern France
- 12. Alcatraz Island – San Francisco, California, United States
- 13. Statue of Liberty – New York City, United States
- 14. The Alamo – San Antonio, Texas, United States
- 15. Biltmore – Asheville, North Carolina, United States
- 16. Castillo de San Marcos National Monument – Florida, United States
- 17. Liberty Bell – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
- 18. Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation – Michigan, United States
- 19. Grand Canyon – Northern Arizona, United States
- 20. Oak Alley Plantation – Parish, Louisiana, United States
- 21. Crazy Horse Memorial – South Dakota, United States
- 22. Colosseum – Rome, Italy
- 23. Pantheon – Rome, Italy
- 24. Uffizi Gallery – Florence, Italy
- 25. Trevi Fountain – Rome, Italy
- 26. Leaning Tower of Pisa – Tower in Pisa, Italy
- 27. Duomo di Milano – Milan, Italy
- 28. Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II – Milan, Italy
- 29. Teatro alla Scala – Milan, Italy
- 30. Basilica Papale di Santa Maria Maggiore – Rome, Italy
- 31. Blue Grotto – Capri Island, Southern Italy
- 32. Villa del Balbianello – Lenno, Italy
- 33. Duomo di Siena – Siena, Italy
- 34. Pragser Wildsee – South Tyrol, Italy
- 35. La Sagrada Familia – Barcelona, Spain
- 36. Alhambra – Palace in Granada, Spain
- 37. Royal Alcázar of Seville – Palace in Seville, Spain
- 38. Plaza de España – Seville, Spain
- 39. Guggenheim Museum Bilbao – Bilbao, Spain
- 40. Mosque-Cathedral of Córdoba – Córdoba, Spain
- 41. Catedral de Sevilla – Seville, Spain
- 42. Alcazaba – Fortress in Málaga, Spain
- 43. Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela – Santiago, Spain
- 44. Tibidabo – Tibidabo Amusement Park, Spain
- 45. Drach Caves – Majorca Island, Balearic Islands, Spain
- 46. Great Wall of China – Beijing, China
- 47. Forbidden City – Beijing, China
- 48. Emperor Qinshihuang’s Mausoleum Site – Xi’an, China
- 49. Potala Palace – Fortress in Lhasa, China
- 50. Temple of Heaven – Beijing, China
- 51. Kangrinboqe Peak – China
- 52. Shanghai Disneyland Park – Shanghai, China
- 53. Jiuzhai Valley National Park – China
- 54. Zhangjiajie National Forest Park – Zhangjiajie, China
- 55. Huashan Mountain – China
- 56. National Museum of China – Beijing, China
- 57. Mount Everest – China/ Nepal
- 58. Mount Fuji – Tokyo, Japan
- 59. Dotonbori – Osaka, Japan
- 60. Tokyo Tower – Tokyo, Japan
- 61. Kobe Port Tower – Port, Japan
- 62. Tokyo Imperial Palace – Tokyo, Japan
- 63. Hells of Beppu – Ōita, Japan
- 64. Gyeongbokgung Palace – Seoul, South Korea
- 65. Dongdaemun Design Plaza – Seoul, South Korea
- 66. National Museum of Korea – South Korea
- 67. Great Sphinx of Giza – Giza, Egypt
- 68. Abu Simbel Temples – Egypt
- 69. Luxor Temple – Luxor, Egypt
- 70. Mortuary Temple of Hatshepsut – Egypt
- 71. Acropolis of Athens – Athens, Greece
- 72. Delphi – Town in Greece
- 73. Museum of the Royal Tombs at Aigai – Vergina, Greece
- 74. Sydney Opera House – Sydney, Australia
- 75. Uluru – Australia
- 76. Twelve Apostles – Victoria, Australia
- 77. Neuschwanstein Castle – Schwangau, Germany
- 78. Brandenburg Gate – Berlin, Germany
- 79. Cologne Cathedral – Cologne, Germany
- 80. Burj Khalifa – Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- 81. Burj Al Arab – Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- 82. Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo – Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- 83. Royal Ontario Museum – Toronto, Canada
- 84. CN Tower (Canada National) – Ontario, Canada
- 85. Moraine Lake – Alberta, Canada
- 86. Christ the Redeemer – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 87. Museu do Amanhã – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 88. Salt Cathedral – Cundinamarca, Colombia
- 89. Plaza de Bolívar – Bogotá, Colombia
- 90. The Little Mermaid – Copenhagen, Denmark
- 91. Tivoli Gardens – Copenhagen, Denmark
- 92. Amalienborg – Copenhagen, Denmark
- 93. Tower of London – London, England
- 94. Buckingham Palace – London, England
- 95. The British Museum – London, England
- 96. Stonehenge – Wiltshire, England
- 97. Windsor Castle – Windsor, England
- 98. The Shard – London, England
- 99. Westminster Abbey – London, England
- 100. Havana Cathedral – Havana, Cuba
- 101. José Martí Memorial – Havana, Cuba
- 102. Boganda National Museum – Bangui, Central African Republic
- 103. Manolo-Gounda-St Floris National Park – Chad border, Central African Republic
- 104. Archaeological Site of the Tombs of the Kings – Chloraka, Cyprus
- 105. Kolossi Castle – Kolossi, Cyprus
- 106. Taj Mahal – Agra, India
- 107. Red Fort – Agra, India
- 108. Badshahi Mosque – Lahore, Pakistan
- 109. K2, Karakoram – Pakistan
- 110. Tai Kwun – Central, Hong Kong
- 111. Hong Kong Disneyland – Lantau Island, Hong Kong
- 112. Chichén Itzá – Yucatan, Mexico
- 113. Chapultepec Castle – Mexico City, Mexico
- 114. Zona Arqueológica Palenque – Palenque, Chis., México
- 115. Museo Nacional de Antropología – Mexico City, Mexico
- 116. Rock of Cashel – County Tipperary, Ireland
- 117. Dublin Castle – Dublin, Ireland
- 118. Kilmainham Gaol – Dublin, Ireland
- 119. St Patrick’s Cathedral – Dublin, Ireland
- 120. Jerónimos Monastery – Lisbon, Portugal
- 121. Pena Palace – Sintra, Portugal
- 122. Quinta da Regaleira – Sintra, Portugal
- 123. Fish River Canyon – South of Namibia
- 124. Sossusvlei – Namibia
- 125. Spitzkoppe – Namibia
- 126. Aloba Arch – Torohi, Chad
- 127. Guelta d’Archei Lake – Chad
- 128. Chad National Museum – N’Djamena, Chad
- 129. Pyramids of Meroë (West) – Northern State, Sudan
- 130. Taka Mountains – Kassala, Sudan
- 131. Republican Palace Museum – Khartoum, Sudan
- 132. Fasil Ghebbi Castle & Kuskuam Palace – Gondar, Ethiopia
- 133. Rock-Hewn Churches – Lalibela, Ethiopia
- 134. National Museum of Ethiopia – Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- 135. Andohalo – Antananarivo, Madagascar
- 136. Isalo National Park – Madagascar
- 137. Montagne d’Ambre National Park – Madagascar
- 138. Kruger National Park – South Africa
- 139. Castle of Good Hope – Cape Town, South Africa
- 140. Voortrekker Monument – Pretoria, South Africa
- 141. Cradle of Humankind – South Africa
- 142. Mount Nyiragongo – Democratic Republic of the Congo
- 143. Mount Sabyinyo – Democratic Republic of the Congo
- 144. National Museum of the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- 145. Gravensteen – Ghent, Belgium
- 146. Royal Palace of Brussels – Brussels, Belgium
- 147. Menin Gate – Ypres, Belgium
- 148. Hagia Sophia – Istanbul, Turkey
- 149. The Blue Mosque – Istanbul, Turkey
- 150. Basilica Cistern – Istanbul, Turkey
- 151. Angkor- Siem Reap
- 152. Maccu Picchu- Peru
- 153. Mount Rushmore, USA
- 154. Mont St Michael- Normandy, France
- 155. St Basil’s Cathedral- Moscow, Russia
- 156. Easter Island- Chile
- 157. Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, USA
- 158. Neuschwanstein Castle- Schwangau, Germany
- 159. Victoria Falls- Zimbabwe
- 160. The Western Wall- Jerusalem, Israel
- 170. Giant’s Causeway- Portrush, Northern Ireland
- 171. The Grand Palace- Bangkok, Thailand
- 172. Petra- Petra, Jordan
- 173. Ha Long Bay- Ha Long, Vietnam
- 174. Blue Domes of Oia- Santorini, Greece
- 175. Big Ben- London, UK
- 176. Hollywood- California, USA
- 177. Empire State Building- New York, USA
- 178. One World Trade Center- NYC, New York, USA
- 179. Times Square- New York, USA
- 180. Chrysler Building- New York, USA
- 181. Ellis Island- New York, USA
- 182. Cloud Gate- Chicago, USA
- 183. Broadway- New York, USA
- 184. Hoover Dam- Nevada, USA
- 185. Seattle Space Needle, Seattle, USA
- 186. Yellowstone National Park, USA
- 187. Niagara Falls- USA/Canada
- 188. The White House- Washington, USA
- 189. Kennedy Space Center- Florida, USA
- 190. One World Trade Center- New York, USA
- 191. Wright Brothers National Memorial- North Carolina, USA
- 192. The Bund- Shanghai, China
- 193- Shangri-La — the Holy Meili Snow Mountains, China
- 194. Chengdu Dujiangyan Panda Base- Chengdu, China
- 195. Tiananmen Square0- Beijing, China
- 196. Mount Hua, Huayin- Xian, China
- 197. Shanghai Tower- Shanghai, China
- 198. Harbin Ice & Snow World- Harbin, China
- Famous landmarks in the world- to conclude
150 Most Famous Landmarks
Have you ever pondered the incredible and famous landmarks from around the world? This guide will introduce you to well-known historical, cultural, manufactured, and natural famous landmarks from all seven continents.
Here are the top 150 famous landmarks that you should see. To ensure that you don’t forget them later, add them to your bucket list.
1. The Eiffel Tower – 7th Arrondissement, Paris, France
This is for sure one of the most famous landmarks in the world- the Eiffel Tower. It is a famous human-made tallest wrought-iron tower that became a well-known landmark in 1889. You can track down many activities and events in the park as well. However, the design and structure get global recognition and are acknowledged as France’s iconic landmark.
2. Notre-Dame de Paris – Cathedral, Paris, France
It is a Catholic Cathedral with a design that exposes French Gothic art and architecture. The whole building is structured with multi-colour windows and pictures. Similarly, the church has maintained all historical sculptures and depicts the actual model of France’s cultural and religious elements.
3. Palace of Versailles – Versailles, France
The palace is a famous landmark due to the residency of the former King and places that grant royal posts. However, the castle is now open for tourists to see the France cultural residency. It has a museum, small parks, and significant Versailles gardens.
4. Louvre Museum – Paris, France
To discover the true beauty of the painting of the Mona Lisa and Venus De Milo, visit the famous landmark, Louvre Museum. It is one of the most visited famous landmarks with more than thirty-eight thousand arts and architectural objects from ancient times (before the 21st century).
5. The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Paris – Paris, France
An enormous oblong hall with double colonnades shaped in circular structure is France’s second most visited and famous landmark after the Eiffel tower. You can see the whole city of Paris by standing at the top of the dome. The Basilica is devoted to the “Sacred Heart of Jesus” and is highly preserved by the government.
6. Disneyland Paris – Chessy, France
Out of many Disneylands in the world, Paris Disneyland is the only landmark owned by Walt Disney. Disneyland Paris has two segments for tourists to enjoy the tour. In the park are famous French resorts, cuisine, modern malls, local shopping stores, and activities and plays for adults and children. Disneyland is of of the most fun famous landmarks, that’s for sure!
7. Arc de Triomphe – Paris, France
Another one of the most famous landmarks that is based in France is the Arc de Triomphe. This is a monument in Paris, France, waved toward the victories of French people who fought their lives in the Napoleonic War. A soldier’s tomb and a patriotic message are displayed for everyone with the arts and architecture of the monument. That makes it worth visiting.
8. Musée d’Orsay – Paris, France
A famous landmark in France due to the preservation of 19th and 20th-century art, paintings, sculpture, and traditional furniture for visitors to see. Moreover, the world-famous artists’ paintings and works are also suited for tourists.
9. Sainte-Chapelle – Paris, France
This is a chapel with awe-inspiring architecture is a famous landmark due to the residency of many well-known kings of France. It is worth the time of every tourist due to its medieval gothic wall structures and long elongated inner pillars. There are many other things that you will find miserably interesting.
10. Palais Garnier – 9th arrondissement, Paris, France
Aside from the palaces and chapels, France is famous for its opera houses. Palais Garnier is a renowned landmark due to its vast and advanced ballet performances. However, it represents the historical monument of France from Napoleon’s time. It is styled Italian and has an enormous library museum.
11. Verdon Gorge – Southeastern France
One of the majestic and famous landmarks in France is Verdon Gorge. With a depth of 700 meters, it has the most matchless green color river. You can track it between the two small towns, Castellane and Moustiers-Sainte-Marie. It is worth your time if you are a rock climber and love heights.
12. Alcatraz Island – San Francisco, California, United States
Moving on to some of the famous landmarks in the USA, we have Alcatraz. This is an island has become a famous landmark in the US due to the establishment of the traditional lighthouses, military forts, and prisons. The island has stories of victory and thrashing defeat that immensely tourists crave to know.
13. Statue of Liberty – New York City, United States
In modern terms, the statue of liberty expresses the impression of freedom and enlightenment. However, it is a natural monument that holds much significance from a political, democratic, and historical perspective of America. Most people are familiar with the statue of liberty, making this one of the most famous landmarks in the world.
14. The Alamo – San Antonio, Texas, United States
It is a historical and famous landmark in the world due to its ancient times’ liveness. Alamo belongs to the Roman Catholic architecture culture used for the Spanish Fortification.
15. Biltmore – Asheville, North Carolina, United States
Biltmore is one of the landmarks in the US that carries historical significance due to its structure, inventor, and art. The state is currently maintained by the fifth generation of George Vanderbilt and uses the building as a house museum for tourists.
16. Castillo de San Marcos National Monument – Florida, United States
Due to the divergence of Spanish in the fortress, it became the most famous landmark and national monument. The architectural structure relies on Spanish Colonial art and has been maintained by the government for tourism.
17. Liberty Bell – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Liberty Bell is an iconic historical landmark in the US. It was known as “State House Bell.” The bell’s purpose was to announce something important, including the deaths of significant people and the emergence of the new constitutions. The best attraction for tourists who are interested in US history.
18. Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation – Michigan, United States
Henry Ford became a famous landmark due to the maintenance and upholding of three hundred years old objects. The arts and artifacts in the museum help the tourists to explore ancient times’ art and to boost their creativity.
19. Grand Canyon – Northern Arizona, United States
A house of hundreds of red rocks holds the uncanny geological history that still makes Petrologists wonder. In the Grand Canyon National Park, you will uncover landings, happenings, and tragedies. It is a fascinating place to visit and one of my favourite famous landmarks.
20. Oak Alley Plantation – Parish, Louisiana, United States
A place with more than a hundred enslaved people now represents the enchanted beauty and historical significance in Americans’ lives. Oak Alley has two hundred years old history to tell you. Your tour guide will give you an overview of the place, including about the sugar cane plantation.
21. Crazy Horse Memorial – South Dakota, United States
It became a famous landmark due to the uncanny fights of Oglala Lakota, aka Crazy Horse, and his struggles. As a tourist, you will find the wonders of Crazy Horse in three museums, an introductory and a documentary film.
22. Colosseum – Rome, Italy
One of the most ancient theatres and famous landmarks all around the world is the colosseum in Rome. As a tourist, you will get exposure to the underground tour, audio guides, first-floor museum, and vast collection of cuisine in the nearby food corners and restaurants. One of the best tourist attractions for history lovers.
23. Pantheon – Rome, Italy
The oldest Catholic church has Roman architecture and a temple or tomb. It is the enormous concrete dome, classical marvel structure, and other things for you to discover. It is worth the time to visit and explore more about the famous landmark, Pantheon.
24. Uffizi Gallery – Florence, Italy
Uffizi Gallery is a famous landmark due to its vast collection of Renaissance masterpieces. It is an art museum with priceless Italian arts and includes Medusa by Caravaggio, ‘Doni Tondo’ by Michelangelo, and other arts and artifacts for you to see.
25. Trevi Fountain – Rome, Italy
If you also wonder about the historical and ancient fountains, the Trevi must be on your bucket list. It is a famous landmark due to its 18th-century sculpted fountain. People visit this landmark worldwide to throw the coin, which makes their wishes come true, making this one of the most special famous landmarks.
26. Leaning Tower of Pisa – Tower in Pisa, Italy
Undoubtedly, modernism has created awe-inspiring buildings and architecture. However, this 14th-century Ornate tower with a tilt still attracts tourists from around the world. Assunta and Pasquareccia bells are there to make you wonder about the beauty of the building. This is certainly a unique site to visit, making it one of my favourite famous landmarks.
27. Duomo di Milano – Milan, Italy
Like every other tourist, your bucket list must include gothic art and architecture. For this purpose, add the Duomo di Milano to your inventory. Apart from the art, you will see the whole city from the top of the dome. Moreover, the audio guide will lead the path for you. This beautiful cathedral is one of the most famous landmarks in Italy and the world.
28. Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II – Milan, Italy
This famous landmark stands with grand mosaic floors and has a fearsome glass ceiling that makes every tourist wonder about its beauty. It is a high-end active shopping mall or gallery. From traditional to modern, branded to local, you will find everything there.
29. Teatro alla Scala – Milan, Italy
Another famous landmark that offers classical Italian arts is a museum and theater. One must not miss those Italian and ballet performances for fun and literacy purposes. However, along with dance, you will find a lot of music and stagecraft.
30. Basilica Papale di Santa Maria Maggiore – Rome, Italy
Another famous landmark is Rome, Italy. You can track it down near Roma Terminal Station and visit any time of the day. It is renowned due to its breathtaking high ceiling; the floors are gleaming due to marble highlights and mosaics.
31. Blue Grotto – Capri Island, Southern Italy
Italy is also famous for its natural landmarks along with its historical architecture. Blue Grotto is one of them. It is a sea cave on Capri Island. Visiting the Blue Grotto at night time will give you a majestic view. However, during the day, when sunlight hits the underwater line, it causes a shining wave above the water. That makes it worth visiting.
32. Villa del Balbianello – Lenno, Italy
Villa del Balbianello offers a marvelous view of lake Como and a majestic view from the top of the hill. The area is fully covered with giant and oldest trees, and the gardens have a modern classic appearance. Moreover, the historical twists and turns will amaze you during your visit to one of the most famous landmarks in Lenno, Italy.
33. Duomo di Siena – Siena, Italy
Indeed, Duomo di Siena is a famous landmark due to the Romanesque-Gothic cathedral, designed with the darkest shade of green and gives compliments to white marble. You can enjoy the elegant ancient manufacturing and try traditional sweets in the café.
34. Pragser Wildsee – South Tyrol, Italy
A lake in the Prags Dolomites has become a famous landmark in South Tyrol due to its vast and majestic ocean colors. Some people define the color purple. Some say it is blue. However, it has many shades, and you cannot give it a single color. There is a resort that grants you an inside view of the ocean by giving you a boat ride.
35. La Sagrada Familia – Barcelona, Spain
La Sagrada Familia is a church and one of the most famous landmarks in the world due to its ancient history and Gaudí-designed architecture. The vast painted glass windows, long elongated inner pillars, and highly decorated ceiling will be worth your time.
36. Alhambra – Palace in Granada, Spain
Alhambra is a place that is rich with history, classical arts, and a magnetic structure that speaks itself more than an audio guide. You will uncover the wonders of Spanish Renaissance architecture and Ii is the most visited and admired famous landmarks across the world.
37. Royal Alcázar of Seville – Palace in Seville, Spain
Due to the royal residency, it has become a famous landmark. Like Alhambra, its history is also full of events, including the rise and fall of Muslim kings and the conquest of Christianity. However, the thing that makes it more admirable is its structure. The palace design is not just limited to the Renaissance period but also a mixture of more than three periods; Gothic and Romanesque.
38. Plaza de España – Seville, Spain
The Plaza has become a famous landmark due to its rich history and stunning architecture. There are many activities and things to see. You can spend the whole day there wondering about the inside and outside beauty.
39. Guggenheim Museum Bilbao – Bilbao, Spain
A museum that explicitly shows the true beauty of modern and contemporary times. The exterior building of the museum tells its story with the Frank Gehry-designed structure. However, you will reveal the wonder of contemporary art and paintings. You will learn a lot as this is one of the best museums and famous landmarks in Spain and the world.
40. Mosque-Cathedral of Córdoba – Córdoba, Spain
Have you ever wondered about a place that shows the charm of more than one religion? The Mosque-Cathedral of Córdoba is your stop. It is a famous landmark due to the involvement of different religious conflicts. Firstly, the Muslim rulers designed the monument as Mosque. After 1236, it became a Cathedral. However, you will still find much Muslim architecture there.
41. Catedral de Sevilla – Seville, Spain
It is an iconic landmark due to its gothic manufacturing with the pre-modern bell tower. Aside from its religious and historical beauty for you to explore. The ancient painting on the glass windows, high ceiling, Christopher Columbus’s tomb, and a city view from the top of the dome is majestic.
42. Alcazaba – Fortress in Málaga, Spain
Alcazaba is another fort that is built by the Muslim rulers in Spain. You will uncover the wonders that lie in the fortress. A path connects the Alcazaba to the Castle of Gibralfaro, and you can visit both places easily.
43. Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela – Santiago, Spain
A famous landmark from the 11th century still holds power and majestic beauty. Different rulers and pilgrims modified the Cathedral. Moreover, it also shows the great art of varying time eras, such as Baroque, Romanesque, and Gothic.
44. Tibidabo – Tibidabo Amusement Park, Spain
A park with a Ferris wheel grants you a scenic city view. However, you can visit a Sagrat Cor church (more like a castle from the outside) and the Torre de Collserola telecommunications tower that enlightens you about the architectural history of Spain.
45. Drach Caves – Majorca Island, Balearic Islands, Spain
Have you ever seen more than four interconnected underground caves altogether? If not, then add Drach Caves to your bucket list. It offers scenic beauty of the sea and will discover the uncanny geographical history of the caves.
46. Great Wall of China – Beijing, China
Another one of the most famous landmarks that is well-known among tourists. The wall is more like a barrier to lousy influence and people. What makes you wonder is that the massive wall has not been constructed in years. It has taken many decades and even different dynasties to complete it. However, you will find activities, stories, traditional food, and other things to make your tour worthwhile.
47. Forbidden City – Beijing, China
Forbidden City is a palace used for the royals’ residency (Ming and Qing Dynasties). It is a forbidden city because no one was allowed to enter the castle in ancient times. Only the Royals and servants. China‘s historical landmarks have a different allure from the rest of the world, and that’s why it attracts tourists. This is not only one of the most famous landmarks in China but is one of the most famous landmarks in the world.
48. Emperor Qinshihuang’s Mausoleum Site – Xi’an, China
This is a site that offers vast insight into China’s traditional and ancient culture. The monument contains 8000 soldiers, chariots, strongmen, musicians, acrobats, and horses’ statues. The place is full of uncanny wonders that you must discover and certainly deserves a spot on this list of famous landmarks.
49. Potala Palace – Fortress in Lhasa, China
Famous landmark from the 17th century and the most visited place by the natives and tourists. The palace is composed of red and white colors from the outside. However, you will discover spiritual and religious elements inside the castle. The court grants a beautiful scenic sight from the top of the hill.
50. Temple of Heaven – Beijing, China
Temple of Heaven is a must-see landmark that shows the Chinese ancestors’ practices of religion. The temple becomes known for the prayer to Heaven for harvest. Aside from this, the place is famous for its architecture and its graphical illustrations.
51. Kangrinboqe Peak – China
Kangrinboqe Peak is suited to the Ngari Prefecture, and its beauty is indescribable. Initially, the place was famous for different religions, including Hinduism, Buddhism and Jain. However, it has become well-known among tourists and hike aspirants and has become one of the most famous landmarks for nature lovers.
52. Shanghai Disneyland Park – Shanghai, China
A place is full of wonder, fun, and plays. The project initially belonged to the Shanghai Shendi Group but also involves the Walt Disney Company. The park has seven different sectors or parts that adults and kids love to explore. Even the whole day isn’t sufficient to see everything in the park. However, spend the entire day there and enjoy the parade and fireworks. As someone who lived close to Shanghai for three years, I can say that this this is one of the most fun famous landmarks!
53. Jiuzhai Valley National Park – China
Another natural and famous landmark in China is a notable tourist attraction. There are many things and activities for the tourists to do in the park. However, the multi-level waterfall gives a picturesque view and allows you to wonder about the colorful lakes. There are also high peaks that have a snow-capped shape naturally.
54. Zhangjiajie National Forest Park – Zhangjiajie, China
Are you also a fan of TikTok videos that show glass skywalks? In that case, your search ends here. You can track down the Zhangjiajie glass bridge in this park and other magnificent and exquisite attractions.
55. Huashan Mountain – China
Another natural landmark has a significant religious influence on Chinese natives and tourists. It has five mountains with five peaks of different heights. You can climb the hill or take a cable car to reach the highest peak. This is based in the Yellow Mountains and is another of my favourite famous landmarks.
56. National Museum of China – Beijing, China
The best landmark tells you everything about China’s culture, religions, history and art. Your passport will be your entry ticket, and you can spend the whole day there to see the vast and breathtaking art. This is one of the most educational famous landmarks.
57. Mount Everest – China/ Nepal
Mount Everest is the highest peak in the world, with an elevation of 8,848.86 meters. It will take two months to climb to the top of the cliff. However, the landmark is also famous as the life-risking hike.
58. Mount Fuji – Tokyo, Japan
Without a doubt, Mount Fuji is a well-known tourist destination that draws visitors for reasons other than its natural beauty. There are numerous activities for tourists to enjoy. For instance, ascending the mountain, touring historic shrines, and savoring the five lakes that surround it.
59. Dotonbori – Osaka, Japan
Dotonbori has been a bustling district since the Edo Period and is a fine portrayal of Osaka’s Minami district. It is filled with cafes, boutiques, a gallery, and operas. Dotonbori offered a nighttime panorama in neon-lit and traditional cuisine.
60. Tokyo Tower – Tokyo, Japan
Tokyo Tower is a magnificent landmark in Japan, and you will be as amazed by its 333-meter height as other tourists are by the view it provides from the glass floor area. It is undoubtedly unsettling to gaze down, but you will forget the peak when you observe the majestic scenery.
61. Kobe Port Tower – Port, Japan
Although contemporary, Noh and Kabuki’s traditional drums have influenced the tower’s architecture (Cultural influence). The landmark offers a beautiful view of the port city and has plenty of amenities inside for tourists.
62. Tokyo Imperial Palace – Tokyo, Japan
The Tokyo Imperial Palace not only has stunning gardens and rock flyovers, but it also wields significant impact. It is a must-visit monument because it is the Japanese emperor’s chief residence. The East Gardens and Kitanomaru Koen Park are just a few attractions close to the castle that are available to visit.
63. Hells of Beppu – Ōita, Japan
Another natural site in Japan that provides visitors is the hot springs. The arena is crammed with vibrant, steaming ponds and pools. There are several religious and cultural turns that you’ll encounter.
64. Gyeongbokgung Palace – Seoul, South Korea
The Joseon dynasty’s kings ruled South Korea’s famous landmarks. However, the castle was reconstructed by imperial Japan. The palace covers a vast area and has a court for official meetings. You can visit it any time of the day.
65. Dongdaemun Design Plaza – Seoul, South Korea
It is a contemporary plaza central to Korean culture and offers a magnificent nighttime view. The place is full of the prevailing state art that shows modern Korea.
66. National Museum of Korea – South Korea
The famous landmark in Korea shows you the ancient times of Korea by offering you art, architectural elements, and paintings. Moreover, you will learn about Korea’s vast history, which will be hard to know in any other place.
67. Great Sphinx of Giza – Giza, Egypt
A famous landmark that has ignited stories of a sphinx and other mystical myths. It is a must-see monument for tourists who are interested in ancient times. This is one of the famous landmarks that everyone should visit in their lifetime!
68. Abu Simbel Temples – Egypt
Among the most famous landmarks in the entire globe is the temple. The two temples are fashioned out of the mountain, and enormous statues line the surrounding area. Originally constructed as a monument to military might, they later became Egypt‘s top tourist destination.
69. Luxor Temple – Luxor, Egypt
Luxor Temple was constructed in the fourteenth century. The temple was intended to serve as the Pharaoh’s funeral chapel, a lasting sanctuary for his godly soul, and a representation of the authority of the Egyptian monarchy. One of Egypt’s top tourist destinations for artists. This is another of the must-visit famous landmarks.
70. Mortuary Temple of Hatshepsut – Egypt
The temple is a mortuary structure meant to symbolize the Pharaoh’s passage into the afterlife. Every terrace stood for a distinct stage of her voyage. The first three terraces stand in for the worldly qualities, while the final three stand for the divine attributes.
71. Acropolis of Athens – Athens, Greece
The most breathtaking location is Athens’ Acropolis for all tourists. The vast compound has numerous shrines, chapels, and musical performances — the must-see landmark in Greece and one of the most famous landmarks in the world.
72. Delphi – Town in Greece
Delphi emerged into one of the most significant religious centers in ancient Greece, and digs of her shrine have revealed a structural component with numerous chambers devoted to deities. A place that has many twists and turns for you.
73. Museum of the Royal Tombs at Aigai – Vergina, Greece
In Vergina, Greece, there is a museum called the Museum of the Royal Tombs of Aigai. The gallery was constructed to demonstrate the royal vaults uncovered at the zone in 1977. The art gallery is next to the ancient site, portraying artifacts discovered during research.
74. Sydney Opera House – Sydney, Australia
Another landmark full of art and entertainment is The Sydney Opera House, which has multiple complex venues. You will uncover the wonders of Australian Ballet, Opera, dance, and theatre in one place. This is one of the most famous landmarks in the world, and for good reason!
75. Uluru – Australia
A significant sandstone rock structure stands firmly in the country’s northern territory and attracts tourists worldwide. The government banned hiking Uluru to protect the Aboriginal people’s culture and rocks. Ayers Rock is Uluru’s traditional name. This is one of the most fascinating famous landmarks.
76. Twelve Apostles – Victoria, Australia
The Twelve Apostles are a notable sight along the Great Ocean Road. It is a naturally occurring limestone stack phenomenon close to Victoria’s coastline. It is an internationally recognised landmark due to the twelve stacks that emerge from the ocean. If road trips are your thing, then this is one of the famous landmarks that should be on your itinerary.
77. Neuschwanstein Castle – Schwangau, Germany
The castle is located at the hill’s summit and is a 19th-century landmark that displays Romanesque Revival art. It started to influence the royals’ prestige and strength. But it never succeeds in achieving its goal. But it has charm and beauty and continues to draw many tourists and movie makers.
78. Brandenburg Gate – Berlin, Germany
Berlin’s Brandenburg Gate is a famous monument. The Prussians demolished the city gate in the war; King Frederick William II later built it to symbolize tranquility and serenity. It is still standing as a memorial to lost souls.
79. Cologne Cathedral – Cologne, Germany
The cathedral, constructed in Baroque architecture, is situated in the heart of Cologne. As a result, it is among the highest structures in Germany, after the cathedral tower in Stuttgart. It offers a beautiful city perspective because of its height of 157 meters.
80. Burj Khalifa – Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Burj Khalifa is a world-renowned landmark and the highest structure in the world, making it one of the most famous landmarks. With a height of 828 meters, it provides a magnificent view, and if you plan to visit, go at night.
81. Burj Al Arab – Dubai, United Arab Emirates
It is the world’s most luxurious five-star hotel and a modern UAE landmark. It is located on a private island and has helipad access. The hotel has a light color design and is structured with marble and granite. It is probably the priciest hotel in the world. However, it will be worthwhile to spend the vacation there.
82. Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo – Dubai, United Arab Emirates
It is the most visited and full of unique marine creatures that attract tourists and visitors worldwide. It is also one of the most diligent and vast zoos in Dubai.
83. Royal Ontario Museum – Toronto, Canada
It is a famous landmark for preserving most modern art and cultural objects worldwide. Visiting the museum will be worth your time as it will enlighten you about the things you might not know.
84. CN Tower (Canada National) – Ontario, Canada
It is a famous landmark due to its 553.3 meters height. The tower is used for many purposes, including communicating and observing the city.
85. Moraine Lake – Alberta, Canada
The natural landmark carries a majestic and spectacular view. It is a famous tourist attraction due to its heavenly beauty and peaceful sight. A popular Instagram feature, this stunning lake is certainly one of the most famous landmarks.
86. Christ the Redeemer – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The Art Deco statue of Jesus Christ is a renowned and well-recognized landmark in Brazil, located in Rio de Janeiro. However, at the top of the hill, you can have a picturesque view of the city that will make you forget everything.
87. Museu do Amanhã – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
It is a science museum that demonstrates post-modern and high-tech projects and objects. Tourists from all across the world have been attracted to it due to its contemporary architecture.
88. Salt Cathedral – Cundinamarca, Colombia
Another landmark that carries cultural and religious significance. It is an underground Roman Church dug in a salt mine. It gives the gothic vibes. However, for natives, it carries a spiritual appearance. It is famous among worldwide tourists.
89. Plaza de Bolívar – Bogotá, Colombia
One of Colombia‘s famous and historical landmarks explicitly shows Colombian art and architecture to the modern world. It is preserved for the tourists and national interests.
90. The Little Mermaid – Copenhagen, Denmark
It is a famous landmark with the status of the woman or mermaid who wants to become a human. The place became well-known among the people due to the rise of the fairy tale of the mermaid.
91. Tivoli Gardens – Copenhagen, Denmark
It is the landmark standing firmly on the grounds from the 19th century. It is now an amusement park, with activities, shows, and music concerts for visitors.
92. Amalienborg – Copenhagen, Denmark
It is a famous landmark due to the residency of the royals since the 18th century. You will uncover the architecture of ancient times, along with the contemporary guards patrolling and other things for you to make your visit memorable.
93. Tower of London – London, England
It is a famous landmark recognised internationally by the people. It is a medieval castle that carries the Crown Jewels and has a significant role in contemporary times. This is one of the most famous landmarks for historians and culture lovers.
94. Buckingham Palace – London, England
It is a landmark that belongs to England’s Crown, not the government or royal family members. However, it is the royal residency that signifies the importance of the state. You need to visit the official site before dropping there for a visit.
95. The British Museum – London, England
It is the house of ancient antiques, traditional arts and architectural elements, and contemporary objects. In short, you will reveal everything from the history of the United Kingdom to the modern revolution. This is one of the most educational famous landmarks in England and the rest of the world.
96. Stonehenge – Wiltshire, England
To see the pre-historical landmark of the UK, stop by Stonehenge. You will track down the museum, parks, gardens, stores, and other things near it that enlighten you more deeply. How did these rocks get here? Some say aliens were the cause… making this one of the most mystical famous landmarks.
97. Windsor Castle – Windsor, England
It represents the landmark and architectural structure from the 11th century. You will explore the castle with the tour guide. However, the ancient and royal objects are displayed for visitors to see.
98. The Shard – London, England
Along with the traditional structure, England has constructed a Skyscraper, The Shard, as the tallest landmark in the United Kingdom. You will get a picturesque view of the city from the top of the dome.
99. Westminster Abbey – London, England
Westminster Abbey is where the coronations take place, which is why it is famous among the royals and British. It has a gothic interior and exterior that makes it more worth seeing. This is one of the most important famous landmarks in England.
100. Havana Cathedral – Havana, Cuba
It is the most gothic cathedral landmark in Cuba, with eleven catholic churches on the island. All of them carry religious and cultural influences on the people. It is a must-see island for every tourist.
101. José Martí Memorial – Havana, Cuba
To discover the history and to know the revolutionary hero of Cuba, visit the memorial. Moreover, it is structured as a tower that offers a city view and exhibits art and artifacts.
102. Boganda National Museum – Bangui, Central African Republic
The landmark highlights the Central African Republic’s wisdom, wit, and wildlife. The museum was initiated in the 1960s and still educates people about its culture and lifestyle.
103. Manolo-Gounda-St Floris National Park – Chad border, Central African Republic
The park is a famous landmark in the country. However, it is recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You will be amazed by seeing the wildlife there. It is full of natural wild beauty.
104. Archaeological Site of the Tombs of the Kings – Chloraka, Cyprus
The tomb of the kings lies in Cyprus from the 3rd century AD. It is the oldest UNESCO World Heritage Site that carries a famous landmark title in Cyprus.
105. Kolossi Castle – Kolossi, Cyprus
To see the historic castle from the medieval time, stop at the Kolossi Castle. Cyprus has many things for tourists to discover about the culture and buildings.
106. Taj Mahal – Agra, India
Taj Mahal is one of the most famous landmarks all across the world. It has architectural beauty along with divine and spiritual reflection. You must add it to your bucket list.
107. Red Fort – Agra, India
The architectural structure carries the red brick appearance from the outside. However, the design of the building is a mixture of Muslim and Hindu residences.
108. Badshahi Mosque – Lahore, Pakistan
Badshahi Mosque is the most iconic and must-see historical landmark standing firmly since the 17th century from the Mughal era. The exterior appearance of the mosque is designed with red sandstone. At the same time, the interior has the most complex setting.
109. K2, Karakoram – Pakistan
K2 is a famous natural landmark that attracts tourists from all across the world. It is the second highest mountain in the world. To reach the top of the hill, you must hike for 14 days.
110. Tai Kwun – Central, Hong Kong
Tai Kwun is a heritage and historical building that has preserved the Victorian-age prison and police station. It is now a famous landmark that exhibits the art of the ancestors of Hong Kong.
111. Hong Kong Disneyland – Lantau Island, Hong Kong
Another famous landmark due to the decadent fun and entertainment for natives and tourists. It has many sub parks, plays, activities, parades, and shows that make your time worth it.
112. Chichén Itzá – Yucatan, Mexico
Chichen Itza is an archaeological site that encompasses a pyramid with enormous steps. If you have ever wondered about the El Castillo, it is your stop to slow down. It offers an incredible sight of the ancient city. This is one of the most famous landmarks in the world.
113. Chapultepec Castle – Mexico City, Mexico
To acknowledge the ancient history of the Mexicans, you can stop at the Chapultepec Castle. It is home to historical monuments and the castle’s significant elements.
114. Zona Arqueológica Palenque – Palenque, Chis., México
It is a famous landmark because it dates back to the 8th century and still holds the originality of that time. If you are interested in pyramids, ancient status, and languages, add this landmark to your bucket list.
115. Museo Nacional de Antropología – Mexico City, Mexico
It is a world-recognized landmark due to the preservation of the pre-colonial arts and artifacts that will make you wonder about the rest of your life.
116. Rock of Cashel – County Tipperary, Ireland
The Rock of Cashel has a history of legends full of twists and turns. However, the rock castle has a tour guide that will enlighten you about all the stories and architectural significance.
117. Dublin Castle – Dublin, Ireland
It has become a famous tourist attraction due to its gothic chapel and historical exhibition in the museum area. You will be amazed by knowing the history and struggles of the Irish people.
118. Kilmainham Gaol – Dublin, Ireland
Kilmainham Gaol is a famous museum that tells the tales of the prisoners of Ireland. It is well preserved by the government to acknowledge the passion and determination of the people.
119. St Patrick’s Cathedral – Dublin, Ireland
It is a historical landmark that is designed in a medieval structure. There are activities, plays, events, and religious recitals that you can attend and observe the culture closely.
120. Jerónimos Monastery – Lisbon, Portugal
To know the Portuguese’s history and rise, you should visit the Jerónimos Monastery. It is a famous landmark because it encompasses medieval times and has a gothic structure building.
121. Pena Palace – Sintra, Portugal
Pena Palace is Portugal’s most visited and famous UNESCO World Heritage Site. You will uncover the majestic view from the top of the hill and the Romanticist interior of the castle. Moreover, the court is surrounded by small lawns and gardens that add more natural beauty to the palace exterior.
122. Quinta da Regaleira – Sintra, Portugal
A historical palace with dark tunnels and complex architecture will make you wonder about it: you will explore more about the place through the events and plays.
123. Fish River Canyon – South of Namibia
It is the second most visited place in Namibia. The fish river has an enormous rock formation, is fully dry, and contains plants that can resist drought.
124. Sossusvlei – Namibia
Sossusvlei carries significant recognition from the tourists due to the salt pan and red dunes. The arena has a breathtaking view that nothing can beat.
125. Spitzkoppe – Namibia
You can track down the Spitzkoppe in the Namib desert and see the wonders of the high granite peaks that give the expression of bushmen art.
126. Aloba Arch – Torohi, Chad
Aloba Arch is a natural desert that has become a tourist attraction due to the rainbow arch that explicitly shows the geographical effects.
127. Guelta d’Archei Lake – Chad
One of the lakes is covered with Sahara and has inhibited animals that will amaze you with their living requirements.
128. Chad National Museum – N’Djamena, Chad
Chad National Museum is another place in Chad with stories and things for you to see. Chad museum has arts, artifacts, and pre-historical and cultural sculptures.
129. Pyramids of Meroë (West) – Northern State, Sudan
The Nubian Pyramids are one of the famous landmarks in Sudan, and for good reason. These pyramids were established a hundred years ago as a tribute to the Kings and Queens.
130. Taka Mountains – Kassala, Sudan
The city of Kassala has many things to see. However, the Taka Mountains have their charm over the tourists and natives.
131. Republican Palace Museum – Khartoum, Sudan
The Republican Palace Museum is one of the places where you can get total exposure to Sudanese culture, religion, and history. The exhibition of the arts and artifacts will tell you everything about Sudan.
132. Fasil Ghebbi Castle & Kuskuam Palace – Gondar, Ethiopia
These two castles are located in Gondar and have been there since the 17th century. The castles had been designed for the Ethiopian Rulers.
133. Rock-Hewn Churches – Lalibela, Ethiopia
Lalibela has many places that define the high-end ruling of Christianity, and Rock-Hewn Churches are one of them. They have an architectural structure from the 13th century and were designed in a monolithic cave.
134. National Museum of Ethiopia – Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The national museum of Ethiopia is a famous landmark due to the exhibition of arts, statues, and artifacts from ancient times.
135. Andohalo – Antananarivo, Madagascar
It is a Catholic cathedral in Madagascar and carries significance due to its history and beautiful architecture.
136. Isalo National Park – Madagascar
Isalo National Park is located in the Ihorombe Region and is acknowledged as a natural landmark in Madagascar. Aside from the wildlife, the rock formation and mountain climbing will make your tour memorable.
137. Montagne d’Ambre National Park – Madagascar
To see the natural waterfall surrounded by wildlife and wild forest, you can add Montagne d’Ambre National Park to your bucket list. You can track it down in the Diana Region of Madagascar. This is one of my favourite famous landmarks for nature.
138. Kruger National Park – South Africa
Kruger National Park is a famous tourist attraction due to the massive diversity of wildlife. It is a game reserve with plenty of things to see and do.
139. Castle of Good Hope – Cape Town, South Africa
140. Voortrekker Monument – Pretoria, South Africa
It is a historical monument that tells the ancient African people’s tales, customs, and culture.
141. Cradle of Humankind – South Africa
The Cradle of Humankind is a famous landmark and UNESCO heritage in South Africa. It is an archaeological area that has a cave from prehistory.
142. Mount Nyiragongo – Democratic Republic of the Congo
Mount Nyiragongo is a famous tourist attraction due to the active volcano. Moreover, this mountain is considered the most dangerous volcano in the world.
143. Mount Sabyinyo – Democratic Republic of the Congo
Mount Sabyinyo is a recognizable landmark and famous due to the oldest volcano in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It is extinct, so it’s safe to travel or hike on the mountain.
144. National Museum of the Democratic Republic of the Congo
The national museum is located in the capital city, Kinshasa, and has traditional and contemporary cultural entities, statutes, and art.
145. Gravensteen – Ghent, Belgium
Gravensteen is a historical landmark standing firmly on the Belgium grounds since the 12th century. It is rich in history, events, and plays.
146. Royal Palace of Brussels – Brussels, Belgium
It is a well-known landmark due to the influence of the Royals, ancient architecture, and incredible interior. You can visit the Palace only in the summer.
147. Menin Gate – Ypres, Belgium
Menin Gate allows you to see the memorial dedicated to the soldiers of World War I. You will be amazed to see the 54,896 names painted on the arena and other historical influences.
148. Hagia Sophia – Istanbul, Turkey
Hagai Sophia is a mosque representing Turkey’s Islamic culture and history. The architectural design and the interior signify the art of the Byzantine.
149. The Blue Mosque – Istanbul, Turkey
It is the must-see landmark in Turkey that tells the Islamic significance and the tale of the Sultan’s struggles in the time of the 17th century.
150. Basilica Cistern – Istanbul, Turkey
Basilica Cistern is a historical and the most visited landmark in Turkey. It has the enormous ancient cistern that Byzantine Empire fashioned. This is one of the most fascinating famous landmarks.
151. Angkor- Siem Reap
Angkor Wat is the most famous ancient temple site in Cambodia, making it one of the most famous landmarks in Cambodia and the world. It has 5 lotus-like towers rising 65 meters into the sky, and is a magnificent piece if ancient architecture. A UNESCO World Heritage site, this was once the largest pre-industrial city in the world- wow!
152. Maccu Picchu- Peru
This has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1983. It was designated one of the New Seven Wonders of the World in 2007. Machu Picchu is a 15th-century Inca citadel that is located in the Eastern Cordillera of southern Peru on a 2,430-metre mountain range. It is famous for its stunning views and infamous Inca Trail that many hikers endue en route to the citadel.
Machu Picchu is Peru’s most visited attraction and South America’s most famous ruins, welcoming hundreds of thousands of people a year, making it one of the most famous landmarks in the world.
153. Mount Rushmore, USA
With 60-foot-tall sculptures carved into South Dakota granite, Mount Rushmore remembers four US presidents: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln. This breathtaking sight leaves the tourists awe-struck for a while. As one of the most important landmarks in the US this is definitely a place that everyone should visit during their trip to the US.
154. Mont St Michael- Normandy, France
Mont Saint Michael Abbey is a must-visit landmark of Normandy. Atlantic Waters surround this monument. It consists of two sides – one church abbey and the side where the monks lived.
As the original abbey burnt in the 11th century, it was rebuilt using gothic architecture in the 19th century. Its gothic architecture impresses every tourist.
For the fortification of the abbey from the British army, thick defensive walls and towers surround it. The three-tier structure, different elements of French architecture, and historical and religious values make it one of the most beautiful landmarks of France.
155. St Basil’s Cathedral- Moscow, Russia
Saint Basil’s Cathedral’s colourful roofs help it stand out on Red Square, making it a well-known tourist attraction in Russia. The interior of this structure is exactly as stunning as the photographs suggest, with walls adorned with artwork and tapestries from the 16th century.
156. Easter Island- Chile
Easter Island is one of the most famous landmarks in the world because of its stone statues of human figures, known as moai (meaning statue). The Moai were probably carved to commemorate important ancestors by the local population and were made from around 1000 C.E. until the second half of the seventeenth century.
157. Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, USA
This is one of the landmarks in the US that should be on everyone’s list! The Golden Gate Bridge, one of California’s most recognisable structures, spans the bay between Marin County and San Francisco. The Golden Gate, a narrow channel where San Francisco Bay opens up to the Pacific Ocean, is almost two miles long.
In 1937, a public opening of the Golden Gate Bridge cemented its status as a stunning icon and still mesmerises everyone with its remarkable history. Both children and adults can enjoy this place in Cali.
158. Neuschwanstein Castle- Schwangau, Germany
There’s no shortage of castles in Germany, but Neuschwanstein Castle is one of the most impressive. Built by King Ludwig II, the castle was intended to be a private retreat for the king and his guests. However, in the 19th century, the castle was opened to the public after the king’s untimely death.
Since then, visitors can enjoy Neuschwanstein Castle by exploring the castle’s stunning exterior and opulent interior. You’ll get plenty of photo opportunities throughout the castle grounds – making it the perfect spot for a selfie. This is one of the most picturesque landmarks in Germany.
159. Victoria Falls- Zimbabwe
Victoria Falls is part of the mighty Zambezi River, which forms the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia. It is the largest waterfall in the world and deserves a place on this list of most famous landmarks due to its unique splendour.
160. The Western Wall- Jerusalem, Israel
The Western Wall, also known as the ‘Wailing Wall’ or the ‘Kotel’, is the most religious site in the world for the Jewish people, making this one of the most important famous landmarks. The wall is situated in the Old City of Jerusalem and it is the last remaining outer wall of the ancient Jewish temple that once stood here.
170. Giant’s Causeway- Portrush, Northern Ireland
The Giant’s Causeway lies at the foot of the basalt cliffs along the sea coast on the edge of the Antrim plateau in Northern Ireland. It is a breathtaking 33-mile stretch of Ireland’s most celebrated coastline. It is renowned for its scenic beauty and is known to the Irish as the 8th Wonder of the World- making this one of the most famous landmarks. It is identifiable for its jagged columns of hexagonal basalt rocks which were created 6 million years ago by a flow of basaltic lava.
171. The Grand Palace- Bangkok, Thailand
The Grand Palace is a complex of buildings in the centre of Bangkok, Thailand. The palace has been the official residence of the Kings of Siam. Today, the place is used for hosting royal ceremonies and welcoming the king’s guests, State guests, and other foreign dignitaries. The architecture here is stunning, therefore it is no wonder that this is one of the most famous landmarks.
172. Petra- Petra, Jordan
Petra is an historic and archaeological city in southern Jordan. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is famous for its rock-cut architecture and water conduit system. This incredible city is one of the most well-preserved ancient cities in the world, making it one of the most famous landmarks, and for good reason.
173. Ha Long Bay- Ha Long, Vietnam
Ha Long Bay is home to over 1,600 islands and islets which form a spectacular seascape of limestone pillars. Many tourists travel here to spend a few days on a boat admiring the spectacular scenery. As one of the most picturesque areas of Vietnam and indeed the world, it is not wonder that this is one of the most famous landmarks.
174. Blue Domes of Oia- Santorini, Greece
The blue-domed churches of Santorini are probably one of the most recognisable landmarks in Greece. This is also some of the most photographed areas of the country. The island is scattered with hundreds of chapels and churches and dozens of them feature the distinguishing blue domes and whitewashed walls. Tourists flock here from all over the world, making this one of the most famous landmarks in the world.
175. Big Ben- London, UK
The Houses of Parliament’s clock tower is one of the most famous landmarks in London. Big Ben is the name given to the massive bell inside the clock tower, which weighs more than 13 tons.
The clock tower looks incredible when all the four clocks’ faces light up at night! Also, a special light above the clock face illuminates when parliament is in session. Pretty cool, right?
176. Hollywood- California, USA
Hollywood is well-known across the world as a location for the production of films and television shows.
There are numerous attractions, including Universal Studios, the Hollywood Sign, and the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
177. Empire State Building- New York, USA
Now this is without a doubt one of the most impressive landmarks in the US. Tourists enjoy the amusing view from the top of the tower as far as 80 miles away, in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts.
178. One World Trade Center- NYC, New York, USA
The One World Trade Center is a safe, environment-friendly, and beautiful building that stands as a blazing addition to the skyline and a vibrant symbol for the developing city.
It is already one of the most well-known landmarks in the US and the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere, rising to a symbolic 1,776 feet.
179. Times Square- New York, USA
Times square is one of the busiest and most well-known locations on the entire globe, it is a must-see during any trip to New York City, making it one of the major landmarks in the US.
This lively entertainment hub is situated right in the centre of Manhattan and draws millions of visitors each year from all over the world.
180. Chrysler Building- New York, USA
The Chrysler Building is a shining example of its time, which is known for industrial power, concentrated wealth, and extensive city building.
Its tower that pierces the sky, ornament that project over the street and luxurious interiors that are lined with metal and marble perfectly depict this time in history.
181. Ellis Island- New York, USA
Despite appearing small on a map, Ellis Island holds a special place in American history. More than 12 million immigrants have arrived in the nation through Ellis Island, which now serves as a poetic representation of the American Dream.
182. Cloud Gate- Chicago, USA
In the centre of Chicago, The Bean is a piece of public art. One of the best public art projects in the world, officially named Cloud Gate. The vast construction was launched in 2004 and rapidly gained recognition as one of Chicago’s most famous sights.
183. Broadway- New York, USA
Broadway Boulevard, which runs the length of Manhattan in New York City, is surrounded by a number of theatres that have long made it the top location in the country for commercial stage entertainment. This is one of the most visited landmarks in the US.
184. Hoover Dam- Nevada, USA
More than a million tourists take tours of Hoover Dam each year, thanks to the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. It is counted among the wonders of the modern industrial age.
There are also other uses for this enormous concrete dam-like structure. It represents the human spirit and a project that portrays a crucial time for the nation.
185. Seattle Space Needle, Seattle, USA
A 360° view of Seattle and beyond is offered from the Observation Deck’s 520-foot height, and it is surely captivating. The Space Needle is 138 feet wide and 605 feet tall.
186. Yellowstone National Park, USA
Yellowstone National Park is another one of the major landmarks in the US. Millions of people visit Yellowstone National Park every year, which serves as the centrepiece of the National Park Service.
Visitors can enjoy the park from the luxury of their car while travelling on the grand loop road and can also stop for a break at sites.
187. Niagara Falls- USA/Canada
One of the most famous landmarks in the US is Niagara Falls. An impressive waterfall located far left of Horseshoe Falls in the US State of New York, between Prospect Point and Luna Island, is the American Side of Niagara Falls. Every evening, Niagara Falls is illuminated in various colours.
188. The White House- Washington, USA
The White House has served as a representation of the American government, the president’s office, and the home for them. All US presidents besides George Washington have resided there as well, making this one of the most important landmarks in the US.
189. Kennedy Space Center- Florida, USA
The Kennedy Space Center has been a critical player in the development of American space technology throughout history and is thus one of the most important landmarks in the US.
The US Center offers viewing areas for rocket and space shuttle launches. Learn more about the universe and space exploration by examining rockets, space rocks, and other extraterrestrial objects.
190. One World Trade Center- New York, USA
The One World Trade Center is a safe, environment-friendly, and beautiful building that stands as a blazing addition to the skyline and a vibrant symbol for the developing city.
It is already one of the most well-known landmarks in the US and the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere, rising to a symbolic 1,776 feet.
191. Wright Brothers National Memorial- North Carolina, USA
The Wright Brothers National Memorial is a “National Treasure” site for anyone interested in aviation, history, or who wants to get a close-up view of the imposing granite structure that dominates the town’s scenery on the Outer Banks. The Wright Brothers are an important part of the history of aviation, making this one of the most important landmarks in the US.
192. The Bund– Shanghai, China
In China, not just the famous ancient famous landmarks but the modern ones are also the charm of tourists’ eyes. The Bund is among the novel locations that has gained popularity in recent years.
This is the financial centre of Shanghai, where you can also see the city’s skyline, which is almost as famous as the one in New York. This is one of the best landmarks in China, that should be on everyone’s itinerary!
193- Shangri-La — the Holy Meili Snow Mountains, China
Shangri-La and the neighboring Meili Snow Mountains in the southwest of Deqin County are Holy places of pilgrimage for Tibetan people. It is a well-known landmark in China with a mountain range that has 13 peaks. The prominent peak is Kawagebo, 6,740 meters above sea level.
If you are thinking about visiting the peaks, the best time is autumn because the weather and views are hypnotic.
Besides the mountains covered in snow, there are plateau lakes, bushy forests, colourful flowers and trees, and countless wild animals in the mountains to have a look at. There are also Tibetan monasteries and villages that bring about the authentic Tibetan culture experience to you.
194. Chengdu Dujiangyan Panda Base– Chengdu, China
If you’re an animal lover, Chengdu is a must-visit place for you. It’s said to be the house of giant pandas. At Dujiangyan Panda Base, you can even join in taking care of them. There is a Panda Keeper Program that calls for volunteers to look after these furry creatures.
Besides this, you can enjoy roaming the town and relish its fancy tea houses, museums and laneways and plenty more- I have it all covered on my post about the things to do in Chengdu.
195. Tiananmen Square0- Beijing, China
Tiananmen Square is a city square present in the heart of Beijing, and it separates itself from the Forbidden City. Not magnificent like The Forbidden City, it is also an amazing place to visit when in Beijing.
During National Day and May Day holidays, you’ll find the place covered with flowers and decorations, an excellent opportunity to take fabulous photographs.
Tiananmen Square has a lot of political history behind it, making it one of the most important famous landmarks in China and the world.
196. Mount Hua, Huayin– Xian, China
Amongst the five greatest mountains in China, Mount Hua is the westernmost mountain, located 120 kilometres from Xi’an. It’s of the most famous hiking mountain because of being at 2,154 meters high and having lots of lean pathways with steep drops.
Looking for a hike? Well, the best trail is the Huashan Plank Trail, and it’s the one that has earned this mountain its reputation as well as its spot on this list of famous landmarks.
197. Shanghai Tower– Shanghai, China
Shanghai Tower is more than 2000 feet mega skyscraper. This 118-storey building is among the well-known landmarks in China.
Not only is this building an engineering wonder, but it’s also an architectural beauty. In the 2015 Skyscraper Awards, Shanghai tower was judged as the most beautiful building in the world, making it one of the most famous landmarks.
Its beauty captivates the visitors and doesn’t allow them to leave for hours. So, it’s quite a perfect place to satisfy your wanderlust.
198. Harbin Ice & Snow World- Harbin, China
In winter, the best place to visit in China is the Harbin Ice & Snow World. There is a festival that starts in December and stays till the mark. It’s one of the largest help ice and snow festivals worldwide.
There are icy sculptures illuminated with bright colours and fireworks to enjoy at night. This was one of the most unique and amazing place that I visited during my time in China, and is without a doubt one of the most unusual and famous landmarks in China!
199. Palace of Westminster– London, UK
Another of the famous landmarks in London to make the list is the Palace of Westminster. The Palace of Westminster serves as the meeting place for the House of Commons and the House of Lords. The two houses of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It lies on the north bank of the Thames in the City of Westminster in the heart of London. This architectural marvel is well known worldwide and is present across the River Thames.
200. Westminster Abbey– London, UK
This is the last of the famous landmarks on my list- Westminster Abbey is a large Gothic abbey church west of the Palace of Westminster, a traditional place of coronation and a burial site for British monarchs. The Church came into existence in the seventh century, a Bishop of London at the time of Mellitus. Westminster Abbey is also known sometimes as “The Valhalla of Britain.”
Famous landmarks in the world- to conclude
I hope that you enjoyed this article outlining the most famous landmarks in the world, however I am sure that there are many more! Which famous landmarks have I missed out? Let me know in the comments below. And if you enjoyed this article on the most famous landmarks in the world, I am sure that you will love these too-